Bad Vibes

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NTN75

Just thought i'd share this little mishap

Having recently replaced the clutch (burnt out at Oulton Park) and fitted new AVO coilovers new drop links and track rod ends I booked Blyton Park for a track day at the end of May. I arrived and unloaded the car off the trailer ran the usual checks fluids etc then signed on sat the safety briefing etc, I had recently fitted new uniroyal Rainsport tyres following the purchase of a manual tyre machine and bubble balancer and fitted them to the car for the siting laps, once out on track and up to say 30mph I noticed this horrible vibration through the whole car so immediately thought the wheels hadn't balanced properly got the car back into the paddock and swapped back to the zetec wheels with the Yoko tyres which had served well at Oulton duly whipped the car back on track only to find the vibration still there the car was virtually undrivable :cry: :cry . Got the trolley jacks out and raised the front end of the car started it and put it in first gear then found the problem..... the NS driveshaft was wobbling around causing the whole gearbox and engine to move around. Anyway to cut a long story short I stripped it all down and found the tripod knuckle hadn't seated properly possibly from the clutch change and one of the roller bearings had come off inside the cup misaligning the driveshaft. So after wasting the full morning fixing the car I managed to rebuild it to a fashion and at least get a decent few laps in :)

Strange thing is when I checked the car after the work I didn't notice any vibration but then again with it being a track car I couldn't take it on the main roads for obvious reasons a short run up and down the street didn't reveal any issues anyways new driveshaft on order and note to self check and check again save the hassle of on site repairs and still not sure if my DIY attempt of the wheel balancing has worked :lol:

Oh and Just a public thanyou to a real decent guy called Henry who was there with his lads testing their Civic he took time out to lend a hand and help me diagnose and fix the car i'm sure without his help the day could have been a write off

Latest posts

Back