High revs on idle and when stopping.

URGENT ASSISTANCE REQUIRED!

Moderator: Moderators

Gasher33
Model: 1.7

Post by Gasher33 » Sun May 17, 2020 11:47 am

Hey guys, sorry if this is somehow duplicate but I found different threads that are similar to this one but the collective amount of informations is too large for me.

I have a problem with my 1998 1.7 Puma when starting the car the idle is around 1500 RPMs and it seems not to drop even after the car is warmed up. When driving and shifting gears the RPMs when i press the clutch seems to go up but i might be wrong here.
The major problem is that when I come to a stop and put the car in neutral the RPMs go up to around 3000 RPMs and I can get them to drop only if I put it in gear and start moving.

Anyone had this issues and can tell me where to start looking for the problem.
Sorry again if this was answered in another post and i missed it.
0 x

Wild E. Coyote
Guru!
Guru!

Post by Wild E. Coyote » Sun May 17, 2020 12:00 pm

I would start by looking out for a major vacuum leak...
0 x

mmc757
Adolescent
Adolescent
Model: Other

Post by mmc757 » Sun May 17, 2020 6:42 pm

Maybe a vacuum leak. Maybe your Idle air valve. My money is on the valve.
0 x
Cougar nut, wanting a Puma to match the Cougars, waiting out the absurd 25 year import limit for the USA
Semper Purrisimo

Gasher33

Post by Gasher33 » Sun May 17, 2020 9:06 pm

I checked for a vacuum leak but i could see anything major. I checked the hoses and couldn't find any cracks. Any common sports that pumas got vacuum leaks? And could I do anything to test the idle control valve before taking it out to see it that is the problem?
0 x

YOG
Guru!
Guru!
Model: Thunder

Post by YOG » Sun May 17, 2020 10:29 pm

Check this air blanking plug is not split, or missing:
viewtopic.php?f=65&t=31639&p=367386&hil ... ng#p367386
0 x
Rick

S/Steel BlueFlame Catback Exhaust. Denso Iridium Spark Plugs. ST150 Front Brakes. S/Steel Braided Brake Lines. Eibach Springs/KYB Shock Absorbers. Heated Washer Jets. Internal Boot Release. Glove Box Light. 2nd Boot Light. Diadem Side Repeaters. LEDs: Indicators, Parking, Stop/Tail, Number/Plate Lights. Bilt-Hamber Rust Treatment/Corrosion Protection.
Age itself is not an indicator of how fit a person is to drive.

Gasher33

Post by Gasher33 » Tue May 19, 2020 10:36 am

The air blanking plug is there and it's not cracked. Yesterday i checked the ICV by disconnecting it and the engine just stalls so it might be just dirty. Today i'm going to reset the ECU by disconnecting the battery. Someone told me that it could be something bad related to the thermostat, any tips on how i could check that. I just got an cheap OBD2 reader to check for codes but nothing there, any tests i could do with an OBD2 that could help me find out what's wrong?
0 x

grogee
Project Regular
Project Regular

Post by grogee » Tue May 19, 2020 12:30 pm

Hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think wobbly idle can be caused by PAS pressure sensor wiring issue. The sensor is in the front RHS of car underneath near the radiator and crank pulley. The connector and wiring is quite exposed and can get worn out or broken. If this happens the signal that adjusts idle to compensate for PAS load goes haywire and the idle jumps around as a result.

Another tip: to check for air leaks, have the engine running and squirt some easy-start around suspect areas. If the idle jumps or alters then the easy start is getting in around the area you just squirted and that's where the leak is.
0 x

Gasher33

Post by Gasher33 » Wed May 20, 2020 9:24 am

Just reseted my ECU and idle seems to be normal now. I couldn't go for a drive yesterday to see how it handles stopping and between revs. I am curious if this was a quick fix and how long will it last.

I checked the PAS and it looks good but i don't know how to really test it. I saw a post that someone unplugged it and went for a drive to see if there is any difference, good or bad. Is this a good idea?
0 x

Wild E. Coyote
Guru!
Guru!

Post by Wild E. Coyote » Wed May 20, 2020 1:09 pm

THE PAS switch is normally open, I believe. Only when steering opened to max, it should close. So it is rather straight forward test. See with multimeter what is its state and them with wire short the connector pins to see if the engine revs rise a bit
0 x

mad4jags
Adolescent
Adolescent

Post by mad4jags » Wed May 20, 2020 5:11 pm

Could be the throttle position sensor.
I had this very problem with my 1998 when I first bought the car,usually held onto revs between gearchanges and if the engine had been running at speed for any length of time the revs would stay as high as 3000rpm for quite a sew seconds after bringing the car to a stop before eventually dying down.
0 x
2000 1.7 Ford Puma Panther Black..answers to the name of "Bramble"
1998 1.7 Ford Puma Radiant Red..."Scarlett"
2002 1.7 Ford Puma Moondust Silver..."Bullet"
1999 1.7 Ford Puma Melina Blue...."Gizmo"

Return to “HELP ME!”