Oh no, Puma wont stop revving!

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pumadude

Hey all, i have problem with the revs on my puma, when i'm driving along and put my foot on the clutch to change gear the revs sky rocket really high till i'm in the next gear and let the clutch up.

The car also idles at around 1500, which i think is way too high.

twice i have reset the ecu (disconnected the battery for more than 30 mins) and its ok for the 1st 5 miles or so then goes back to the high revving thing.

anyone came accross this or have any ideas on what the problem could be?

thanks in advance for any help.

As your car is idling too high, I'd guess it's your Idle Control Valve (ICV) that needs replacing.

[fullalbumimg]119[/fullalbumimg]

Yep I have to agree with Dal sounds like the Idle valve to me, and is a fairly common problem.

You can try cleaning it with some carb cleaner, but a second hand one will only cost around £15-£20 and will solve this problem 9 times out of 10

Thanks
Mark

Thank you so much for the answers, i'll replace ICV and update on the status.

Thanks again :D

Edit : i just took out the clutch switch and it looks ok, although it doesnt fit very securely is this normal?

definetely gonna change the ICV< hopefully i can get the part by tuesday.

thisw may sound really dumb, what is the TPS?

thanks a lot!

Throttle Position Sensor,

A variable resistor that tells the ECU how far and how fast the throttle shaft moves

I can get both parts to you by Tuesday ( IDV and TPS) if you want :p they will be pulled from a running 2000 puma zetec s

Thanks pkp :D

Roadrunner : i have just ordered an icv, i'll fit that in when it arrives and if its still happening i'll pm you about the TP.

Thanks a lot for the help guys!

hey there

im having the same problem but unlike the original post, im not going to be able to change the ICV myself. would anyone have any idea how much this would cost me for parts and labour if i took it into a garage?

also like the original post, i have tried disconnecting the battery for 30 mins and that did fix the problem, albeit temporarily.

Shouldn't cost any more than an hours labour I would have thought.

Latest posts

Back