Idle issue pressing clutch pedal please help an old man!

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smartsprite

Hi all, very new to the Puma forum and have treated myself to a 97, jewel green, 98k mile 1.7 VCT. Based in Dursley, Gloucestershire I am a Smart Repair Tech and have bought the Puma to play with paint effects, colour shades and wheels etc. Then once looking fine intend to enjoy the fun. Have a few issues with "Pammie" (Baywatch) and have just had a second hand VCT selanoid fitted (Nottingham Vehicle Dismantlers...brilliant and friendly) that has cured the hesitation at around 4000 revs. Read loads of the old threads but can`t quite find the exact same issue that is still there......
What remains is a problem when coming to a stop. If I press the clutch pedal the revs bounce up and down 5 or 6 times in 1 second intervals eventually settling down. If I knock it into neutral the revs rise slowly peaking at around 3000 but by this time I normally press the clutch or switch off.
This was happening before the new VCT selanoid and I have fitted a new idle valve and cleaned the throttle body.

Any solutions????????????

Thanks.

Think I read there's a switch on the clutch pedal that can play up? Don't hold me to that, it's a vague recollection but think it had something to do with engine running problems?

Yeah correct, there is a switch on the top of the clutch pedal, that can become dislodged and give you issues coming to a stop and whenever you press the clutch pedal as it dramatically alters load on the engine.

Sounds good. I did have a quick peep at the switch a week ago but will have a closer look this weekend. Being an old git it takes a while to get into a position to see and play with the switch........problem is it takes me twice as long to get back out of the footwell!!
Many thanks for the help though.

OK, couldn`t wait for the weekend. I`m like an excited child with a new toy.
Unplugged the switch connection and pressed the throttle...
With the clutch in it now does the same as the clutch out, it holds revs at 2000 for a second then drops to 900.
If I manually hold the switch while doing the above it does the same...holds revs for a second then drops to 900.
Does this mean the switch is broken or that it is ok and the fault lies elswhere?

I would have a very good look at your wiring and connector to your power steering pressure switch which is behind the radiator low down on the drivers side.

Maybe also check the connector to the speed sensor on top rear of the gearbox

Hey Quest,
many thanks for the suggestion.Have been reading as many posts as possible to try and put a list together and start at the weekend. Did look at the power steering wiring and noticed that someone had cable tied it really tight and ,although the wires appear to be in tact they are being pulled taught as they exit the sensor. Had the garage check the speed sensor when they fitted the VCT selonoid so hopefully that should be ok.
I was brought up in Manc (Blackley).
So thanks again from a fellow Northener at heart.

Mike
smartsprite.co.uk

and just while I have a mo.
I can`t believe how helpful you all have been.
Big thanks to all of you.

Mike

Hi...again,
been looking at Pammie this morning to try and sort my idling issue. Checked the power steering wiring as best as poss and looks ok. Then cleaned all obvious parts with carb cleaner, having already disconnected the battery, reconnected and proceeded to go through reset mode.
Just the bloody same!!!!
So I started unplugging bits.........unplugged the TPS and nothing changed. so plugged back in and unplugged a few times while my wife (before you ask,she`s nothing like Pammie Anderson) pressed the throttle and it didn`t make any difference with it connected or unconnected.
Does this mean it is dead????? and that we may have found the fault????

Mike

OK, sorry for the delay in responding but been busy repairing scuffs n scratches while my Pammie has been looked at by 2 garages.
Outcome is that the ECU is at fault. The idling issue is down to that.
The car owes me £900 so I need to stay with it as it`s just passed its MOT. Does anyone know if or can the ECU be reprogrammed so that the issue is removed?

Cheers,

Mike

If you've not changed the ECU yet, you could try disconnecting the battery for an hour or so. This will clear all values that the ECU has learnt.
There is more info on here about what to do when you connect the battery back up....

Lol when a garage says that it means they don't know lol, beside your d/S HEADLIGHT you will see a multi plug if your not sure what one, trace the VCt wire back to it, disconnect and spray with electrical contact cleaner and leave to soak, also disconnected battery to work safely and protect car

Sorry for the delay in replying. Been very very busy with work and spraying my Pammie. Will give the electrical connector a go next weekend. Many thanks for the help.

Latest posts

Back