Brake problems above 50mph

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richardwiltsh1re

Hi everyone,

just got my first Puma at the weekend and have noticed that when I brake whilst going over 50mph the steering wheel shakes and pulls to the right. It feels like it is the front brakes that are the problem it does not happen whilst going slowly. I have checked the disks & pads on the front and they seem fine??

please help!

Thanks

Rich

Stuck calipers?
Pumas have floating front calipers. Floating calipers easily get stuck if dirt and rust forms on the sliding pins if the rubber thingies get broken
brakes11.jpg

pic not from a puma original brake but you get the idea

check if the wear on the pads is even on front/back of the discs.
Since car pulls to right. the left front brake would be where to start looking.

rear brakes is only used when breaking hard. check those next thing.

is the pedal feeling mushy? if that's the case there could be trapped air in the brakelines. bleed the system

Hi, they are Ford "F1" wheels. I think they are standard with the black limited edition? They look in pretty good condition, no major scratches and no dents. I have discovered a nail in the front passenger side wheel though. Would this be the problem?

Thanks everyone for your help!

My profesional oppinion :) would be that one or both discs are warped, and that the pads, or caliper is slightly stuck on the right side..

A disc can be warped whitout it beeing obwious to the naked eye. Quick test is to remove the wheel, tighten a nut so that the disc lies flat, remove the caliper and pads, but leve the carier and spin the disc, you should then be able to se if the disc "moves" in the carier, if you get my point :)

You can also chek the colour of the disc, if it is redish brown, it meens it's been hot, and wil most defenetly be warped. I'm guessing the most likley problem disc is the right one, as it pulls to that side, but it can werry wel be both.

If you remove the calipers, peal back the rubber dust cover, and chek for corotion on the piston..

It can ofcourse bee a problem whit the wheels, but so long as it's under breaking, and not constant, it's most likely not the wheels, but the discs :)

Good luck :)

Hi,

What would I be looking for on the ball joints (and other suspension joints)?? are there signs they hare faulty?

since you only have shaking when braking the problem is very probably something with the discs so start checking them.

this can of course in the long run lead to other faults like worn out bushings and joints. just try wiggling stuff in the front.

Back