Poor starting

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seg

Hi guys.

Been struggling with poor starting for the pas couple of days and just looking for suggestions really.

Here we go:

Get in car, put keys in ignition, seat belt on, check car isn't in gear then turn key. Engine turns over, but doesn't fire. After 10 or so seconds, it will try and fire, but doesn't. I then try again and this time when it tries to fire, I stick my foot to the floor. After a little stuttering and spluttering, she fires up, then drives OK.

She has got new (albeit a week old) plugs, changed coil pack for a known good one from our old focus. Rocker cover gasket done.

Any ideas guys, propper struggling now. Think the missus is getting miffed off wiv it too.

Seg

Hi Martin.

Had a bit of an issue before, hence new plugs and could.

After new plugs and coil pack, it started first turn, straight away, just got worse over the week.

Dunno mate. coil pack that's on now, was perfectly fine on my focus.

Hmmm maybe. I was starting to think it maybe fuel related. I just don't know. Aagggghhhh

does it start fine when its hot? sounds mad, but try the water temp sensor. if the sensor is fucked and telling the ecu its hot, the ecu wont enrich the mixture for startup. i had this on 2 different zetec-e engines years ago where holding the accelerator at 1/2 throttle would start the car. doing this means the ecu is using parameters from another part of the map.

Hey Stumc.

Thanks for your suggestion mate. Over this past week, it has been fine starting when warm, just not when cold. The week before, it would start when it has cooled down, like when left overnight.

I had a fiddle with the o2 sensor cable yesterday night while I had diagnostics running on it. I have had a p0130 fault for a while now, but the sensor was giving some good readings after wiggling the wire yesterday. It was also starting everytime, first time after too. So I nipped and got a new, albeit a cheap universal o2 sensor (£50) from my local motor factors, p0130 code has now gone, started right up, so fingers crossed that was the cause. It took 2 goes for the missus earlier, but I think the ecu needs to relearn after I reset earlier.

Seg

Make sure the missus gives it a few seconds for the fuel pump to prime after turning the key so the dash lights come on, then turn over the engine.

I used to switch it on, then put on my seatbelt, then turn the car over and it always started first time. Sometimes if I fired her straight up it would struggle before that routine. Especially after a short journey.

yippeekiay said:
Make sure the missus gives it a few seconds for the fuel pump to prime after turning the key so the dash lights come on, then turn over the engine.

I used to switch it on, then put on my seatbelt, then turn the car over and it always started first time. Sometimes if I fired her straight up it would struggle before that routine. Especially after a short journey.

Cheers mate. She does wait for all lights to go off, still same. Just run diags on it again tonight, no fault codes, but I do get fuel system closed loop fault. O2 sensor is new and looking at live data, seems to be working fine. Could the intake temp sensor cause this issue. I have also just notice what looks like a loose earth strap going from just under battery to gearbox. It also looks like it has been taped up. Gonna have to have a good look around at the weekend.

Seg

its worth sorting the earth as a matter of course.

id check the price of coolant temp sender and if its cheap enough, give it a go. should be well under a tenner

Cheers mate. Gonna tighten up the earth tomorrow, run out of light earlier. Weekend I'm gonna strip front end down, have a bit of a clean up and see what else is hidden down there.

Seg

Well I am pleased to say, or not as the case may be, that I have found the problem. Bloody head gasket has gone. :evil: :evil: :evil: :'( :'( :'(

After all the pi$$ing about for the last couple of weeks, repairing everything else, hoping and praying, the tell tale sign came tonight when I was looking at todays starting issues, and checking various things. When I removed the expansion tank cap as the coolant was low again after only topping up 2 days ago, I got quite a large hiss, so I immediately stuck my nose over to then have it filled with a very strong smell of petrol. Well that was enough for me, finally conceded. Instead of putting it off and hoping it wasn't and replacing everything else on the car, that was the final straw.

Not a very good start to being a puma owner.

Well than came the dilemma. To fix or scrap? Well, after a bit of a chat with the missus, we decided..........Sod it, let's get it fixed. At least have the head gasket done, SHOULD, see us having some happy motoring for a while anyway.

Hi Simon
Glad you're keeping it, sorry if I'm giving you info you already know but check the block and head face for trueness before you bolt on a new head gasket. If it's been run well overheated there may be warping on the block or head.
Good luck mate :)
Barry

Hi Barry.

All advice is welcomed mate. Poorly cat has been dropped off outside garage tonight, hopefully for the work to start tomorrow. Mech will check for warping and trueness. Going for skimming too. Just hope she comes back purring.

Glad im keeping too. Think the missus will be when she is running right.

Hi Simon
Glad to hear you're in front of me with checking for warpage. Hopefully it won't be warped so it won't want skimming. Think yourself lucky it wasn't a Rover K series, it would be knackered now.
Good luck with this, will watch out for your postings.
Barry
PS You still have the cam belt info I sent you?

Balls,
but she will be sweet after you get her back with all that work you have put in,
well worth it for the smiles per gallon value...
tap wood
:eek:k:

Hi Barry. Yeah still got the info you sent me, passed it on this morning. Got them skimming head, new gasket and water pump.
We actually look at a Rover 25 before this. Had bad symptoms of head gasket failure. Then read the k series engines were prone to hgf, stayed will clear. Just got stung on this one.

Lozzy. I hope your right mate. Just wish my garage was empty and I had the time as I would of had a crack at the hg myself. Unfortunately the missus needs it asap for work and dropping young un off at school.

Seg

Back