Not starting

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kit cat

Hi newbie here, I went to tesco in my puma 1.7 v reg, went in did a bit of shopping and when I came out is were the problem started.
I got in to the car put it in reverse and it seemed to stall, which didn't seem unusual as I often stall it in reverse. But when I started it back up it just kind of spluttered, the engine was running but didn't sound right at all. When I put my foot on the accelerator nothing happened except the car shook more violently. It was as if it had no fuel but it has 1/4 of a tank. I tried it a few more times and each time the car would start but it just shook and rattled, my hubby went down a few hours later to have a look and now it won't start at all.

Have checked the fuel cut off switch which is fine.

Please help! I'm being forced to drive a fiat uno!

Also I have noticed that occasionally when I'm accelerating the car seems to have no power. Especially in third.

You could check the usual suspects. Plugs, HT Leads and coil pack.

Seg

Hi and welcome! Sorry to hear of your woes. Whereabouts are you? There may be a member nearby who can help, or we may be able to point you in the direction of a trustworthy garage.

Welcome along. Check the electrical connection to your MAF and make sure it is fully home. If so it might be worth removing the MAF and giving it a clean with some brake cleaner. Also check that all the bolts are secure on your air filter.
Good luck.

Seg said:
You could check the usual suspects. Plugs, HT Leads and coil pack.

Seg
^this^ everytime is the first port of call, then check fuel filter has been changed recently. All these are easily checked and replaced.

Just a minor note which may or may not be relevant in this current issue, everytime you get into the car, switch on the ignition but don't start it, put on your seat belt or count to 3 (this allows the fuel pump to prime), then start the car. The Puma is known for this minor starting issue but if you follow this procedure it should start first time everytime unless something else is at fault.

Hi thanks for response, checked spark plugs and changed them as looks like rocker cover leaking as 1 and 2 was sitting in oil, checked spark getting a spark, fuel filter is rusty as hell on the outside, but petrol coming through fine

i know this is not a good rule to do poured some petrol down in to piston car started and cut straight out again, so if the crankshaft sensor has given up with this stop the car from starting up?

were in Milton Keynes, its the wife's car, and she wants to get it running for any meets happening in April now with found this site

Regards
Tim and Laura

Would the crankshaft sensor stop it from staring up?

martinthrapston that would be brilliant if we cant get it fixed tomorrow

The car will still start up and run without the cam shaft sensor!

Could it be somthing simple like battery?

When my Frp wouldn't start a few years ago it turned out to be the cable that goes into the starter motor has a connector on and mine had come loose.

ok well found out no fuel in the fuel rail looked on line found the bit like a bike valve at the end pushed it no fuel coming out even when the car is turned over, so can someone please tell me which relay is for the fuel pump as we didnt get a book with the car. will try simple thing of changing the fuel filter

Tim

Does your fuel pump prime? Its under the rear seats, have a listen when you turn the key to the position before it starts, if you dont hear a noise then fuel pump is not working.
I had this problem when i bought my puma as a non runner- as above check the fuse for the fuel pump and if this is the problem then when you drop the fuel tank to change pump change the rusty looking fuel pump at the same time.
Also the oil in your plug wells will be rocker cover leak- a very common issue.
Change this with a genuine ford rocker gasket and gasket sealant, non genuine rocker gaskets do not work properly as many people have found out

right had a look at car again changed fuel filter fuel came out brown/black in colour out of old one, checked fuse's second time found one blown and now car running 100% brilliant thanks for all your help.

hopefully will meet some and a meet some time :) :grin:

I was going to say that^ the fuse has blown most likely because of a faulty fuel pump, it jams up under pumping fuel in and sends a overload power surge and pops the fuse, im quite sure it will happen again but at least we told you now.

Back