I need some serious help with my suspension :/

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adampuma

Right!!! Ok... I used to have kw coilover suspension but it bugged me being so stiff and squeeking over bumps etc, i changed the suspension to my old shocks with 45k on them with spax 35mm lowering springs. It still makes the squeeking over bumps! And the rear makes a knocking sound over bumps too, i have bought new top mounts all round and it has still not fixed it! I have the correct gap between the suspension and the turret and its all done up properly, yet it still squeeks over bumps! I want to scream, is anyone near kent? Fancy having a day with me and my puma?! Sounds like a man date, it kind of is. I just want another pair of experienced hands. I want to love my puma so much and i am on the verge of buying cossie wheels for it but i am getting annoyed that i cant fix it!

Dry anti-roll bar bushes or wishbone bolts? Try giving them a squirt with some WD40 to see if it stops it for a bit. If it does, whip ot the offending items and replace/regrease! Mine squeaked on the bumps but I found that it was the front wishbone bolt making a racket.

^ i like comments like this, i have had recent new lower arms and drop links and anti roll bar bushes, powerflex may i add

I have powerflex rear beam bushes fitted two months ago, the knocking is over the slightest of slight bumps as it it were a clearance with the rear suspension tops issue, its just never ending, my old puma was perfect suspension wise so i dont
Blame the car

Yes i replaced all 4 top mounts that go on the underside of the suspension. Is there an incorrect way of fitting them?

Actually I meant the rubber inside the car that sits under the metal cup , not the topmounts.

I don't know if its the cause of your problem but there is an incorrect way of fitting the topmounts in as much as they have a shallow square tab on the outside of them that have to sit in a square hole in the top of the turret.

I dont think i lined up anything, just rested them on top of the shock and refitted

I think theres a piccie of the top rubbers I was talking about and the location tab in here

http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=21066" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

adampuma said:
^ i like comments like this, i have had recent new lower arms and drop links and anti roll bar bushes, powerflex may i add
Mine had a new wishbone and bolts at the time. It just wasn't happy with the amount/spread of grease! I'm not entirely sure there is such thing as a squeak/knock free Puma!

quest63 said:
A squeak and knock free Puma is a parked Puma :-D

:lol: I've replaced just about everything on the front end and I still get weird noises on big 'yumps'. I have found turning up the stereo and not worrying about it is the cure.

When I fitted all my poly bushes and the coilovers, I copper greased everything. Not literally I might add before Quest comes along with some random comment!

Grease on the bushes when I pushed them in.
Grease on the metal tube parts that go through the bushes.
Grease on the subframe brackets where the bushes push in.
Grease on the bolts.

So far, I've had no squeaks.

Does anyone have anymore info about this tab on the rubber too mount?

There's not a lot to know really. It's a tab in the top mount casting that sits in a cutout in the rear turret. If you can get to the turret in the boot, you can check whether it's engaged. If I remember, there's a sticky pad over the tab opening.

Latest posts

Back