02 1.7 Puma Noise at 1800 revs

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JennyMHorne

Hello,

My Puma has been making this noise for around 3 months now. When accelerating through and when cruising at 1800 revs (so when placing some pressure on the accelerator) it makes a grinding/rattle noise. If I'm going down hill and speed up due to this (but haven't got my foot on the accelerator) it doesn't make this noise.

I'm gonna give it to a mate who owns a garage soon but am wondering if anyone has any ideas? I bought it around a year ago and the cam belt and clutch had both been replaced before I purchased it.

On a side note there is also a different rattle coming when I go over bumps/when I turn corners sometimes. This comes and goes.

Hoping my Puma isn't at deaths door because I do love it! If anyone has had this issue please let me know what yours ended up being to give me some clue as to what to expect!

Thanks,

Jenny

Omfffgggg its your cambelt tensioner giving up!!!!!!!! Dont drive it plssssss

I had this a few months ago on my
Black puma, horrid grinding noise around. 1800-2000 rpm, turns out the cambelt tensioner was dying and the cambelt slipped a tooth and killed the valves and pistons in cylinder 3! I am 99% this is your problem when was the cambelt and tensioner last done?

^^^ This happened to mine aswell, however it wasn't a grinding noise, more of a sort of flapping noise like the sound of paper in a fan... but it was at the same 1800/2000 revs and had the same outcome. Did in 8 of my 16 valves and had to have the head rebuilt.

Without trying to panic you (unlike Adam :? ) get it checked out as soon as possible hun.

The other noise could be either cv joints/top mounts or something suspesion related depending on where the rattle is coming from

Welcome to the forum by the way :eek:k:

Could that be related to the new cam belt in any way? Something that should be changed with it/something they didn't do? The garage I bought the car from put a new cam belt on before I bought it. Will pray its not that - sounds expensive :(

If they only changed the cambelt and not the tensioner, also the rocker gasket can leak oil and cover the tensioner in oil which isnt ideal, sorry for trying to make you panic but i wish someone would of told me earlier.

:/ well she's going into the garage my friend owns in a couple of weeks so hopefully will get sorted soon. Can't go in any earlier :/ if it is the cam belt might be time to have a conversation with the garage, see if they missed something *crosses fingers*

When the garage changed the cambelt they *should* have changed the full cambelt kit which includes the belt, pulleys and tensioners.
But saying that I had my cambelt kit changed and it was actually a faulty tensioner that killed the engine - not something the garage didn't change or missed, and they actually said that sometimes the tensioners are known to be faulty on a new kit - mine went within a year of it being changed.

What kind of warranty did the garage give you when you bought the car?
If you've had the car over a year it's unlikely the parts/labour will be covered.. I work for a main Fiat dealer and our used cars are only covered for a year, my sister bought a car recently from a local private garage and they only offered her a 3 month warranty. Most genuine parts tend to have a year warranty too but providing you take it back to where the parts were purchased/fitted.

How long would the car potentially go like this before the tensioner threw the towel in?

I have the same noise at 1800 /2000 revs deffo like a light grinding noise and some times has a bit ov a rattle to go with it when accelorating through first and second. My puma was abusused by the last owner so i doubt its had a cam belt for yonks , im sure i read thet theirs sum one on here that does the chainge and does the head whils the engines open and he comes out and does it pretty cheep cheeper than in a garage anyway. I will try and hunt him down and post up his details :)

mine was at 1800 to 2300 an dit sounded like a marble in a can. changing as a kit solved the problem nicely

ArtfulHussy said:
How long would the car potentially go like this before the tensioner threw the towel in?
Any time. Could be next time you start it or in several hundred or thousand miles time....

Hi….I have the same problem but only when I push it to 6k rpm, sounds like a can being crush, once the needle hit 6k precisely, that sounds comes for a couple seconds then it goes away….
Any thoughts or advice of what it could be??
Also I notice when I start the car(cold), when I step on the gas, it’s like losing power, pretty identical when a car is running out of gas, could it be injectors and/or fuel lines?

Hi there
So I got myself a 1.7VCT….a while ago I was having the same problem but exactly at 5k rpm, my mechanic told me it could be the lambda, so I got a new one, funny thing, the old one was still the original lambda.
After that VCT was working perfectly and no rattling at 5k, pushed to 6,5k and nothing, though to myself, problem solved.
Well, today that rattling noise came back, first at 6k, I changed gear immediately and then it started at 5k….only does this rattle exactly at 5k.

Any ideas what it could be?? I’m getting worried cuz 1.7 material is somewhat hard to find in Portugal.

Latest posts

Back