Help - Any Advice Please!?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

martinblueprint

Hello all,

I really need some advice from someone as I don't know what I should do.

I was visiting my mate in town and he lives in a large building of flats with its own carpark. The roads were rammed so I assumed that, as a 'patron' of the building, I'd be allowed to use the small carpark.
Yes, there were signs warning of tickets, but in a secluded part of town in an empty, dark carpark, I assumed it'd be fine as I was a visitor and was only gone 20 mins or so!

I come back to my car and to my fury, there was a ticket, but not from the council, from a Private Company. They've charged me £80 and I only have 7 days!
The time on the ticket shows it was pretty much exactly as I arrived, so they must have seen me, but I saw no-one! Could it have been a resident?

I really don't know what to do! Is this worth the paper its written on? Should I contact the property owner as they have the power surely to break the contract?

Has anyone else got any experience of fighting these fraudsters? From what I've read, they won't pursue it to court, just send threatening letters to do so.

Any help at all please...I don't have £80, I'm a student!!

Go back to see if there is a sign up warning of a private clamping company. Even if it was hard to see in the dark, they are covered legally unfortunately.

If you can't see one, then write to them saying there isn't one and so ignoring their fine.

Try the Citizens advice as well.

Citizens advice would be a good place to start after checking the area for any notices etc... informing of clamping

I would pop in to the citizens advice just to clarify what you are wnating to know - its free advice :)

Sorry to hear this im a student myself and know how tight money is....

Unless you can find out if you had permission to park there as a visitor.. c
(could your friend confirm that?)

Then I don't think there's much you can do except possibly the above..

2 choices..

Pay it.. or

Risk it.. and possibly further expense?

I dont think they can get your details via your number plate from the DVLA can they?

I was in a similar situation last New Year, got £120 worth of parking tickets, not much you can do. I went out in the late evening so got two tickets as it rolled over to midnight :? It was clearly marked permit parking only and I didn't have one.

For me it was a small price to pay as the street really wasn't very secure and I could have incurred damage costing a lot more than that by parking overnight at New Year.

Parking fines imposed by the council are legally enforceable. Always worth trying to fight them if you have any vestige of a case, but you probably won't win.

Those imposed by private individuals and bodies are not.

Read the link above.

XIIVVX said:
Parking fines imposed by the council are legally enforceable. Always worth trying to fight them if you have any vestige of a case, but you probably won't win.

Those imposed by private individuals and bodies are not.

Read the link above.

Bit late now but thanks for the link, have had a quick scan through and it seems to make sense.
It's the sort of thing worth fighting for, even if only to uphold a principle.

Latest posts

Back