Running probs

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mc dowell

Can anyone help iv got a 1.7 51 plate puma had
It for years its just had a service and started rattling
At 2000 rpm ok below and above
My friend dose all my work for me and thinks its
The crank shaft oil seal witch seems to be right from
What i have read has anyone ever had and sorted
This problem or have any pics of the proses to give us
A full understanding before we tackle it thanks

When did you last have your cam belt and tensioner changed? that exactly what mine sounded like before i got my cam belt done.

I got the timing belt changed may last year
Dont if the tensioner was do with it
Would that course oil to be around the timing belt
As well and be leaking

Sorry should have said this has all started
After a oil and filter change the problem started
Immediately
There is an oil leak and oil on the timing belt
And rattles at 2000rpm

oil can degrade a belt quite quickly. have a friend press the accelerator while you listen under the bonnet and see where the noise is coming from. If its the timing belt you will hear it slapping on the underside of the top belt cover on the side of the engine. I seem to remember I could feel it slightly as well when I placed my hand on the cover.

Ok mara ill try it where is the oil from tho
And if its going that what do i need to get done

if it is the cam belt (and that is an if) then I would recommend getting it and the tensioner changed as soon as possible. the belt only has to hop 1 tooth on a camshaft and you could be looking at a new engine.

If your cambelt is covered in oil, then it will likely be either camshaft seals or crankshaft seal. The parts are relatively cheap but not easy to get to.
Both require cam bet off.
Sounds like belt and tensioner need changing anyway.
Paul

Thats what my friend thought it was the seal he knows what he is talking about he just hasn't ever done one so we were looking to double check and see if anyone had undertaken the seals themselves iv been trying to find some diagrams or pics of the process to help us on the way

Everything you need to know you can find here: http://workshop-manuals.com/ford/puma_1998_06.1997-12.2001/mechanical_repairs/1_general_information/100_service_information/100-00_general_information/description_and_operation/about_this_manual/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Latest posts

Back