General Help Required.

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NatWhey

Ford Puma 1999 T Plate 1.7.

I have an oil leak and I have a pretty good idea where it is coming from - either the "O" ring on the dip stick tube has rotted - so I am replacing that anyway and/or the gasket seal needs replacing on the sump. So I have ordered both parts, 6 litres of oil, oil filter, spark plugs, fuel filter, lambda sensor and a new MAF along with a RAMAIR Induction Air Filter Kit.

However my priority is the water in the passenger footwell. I found this today after a bout of rather heavy rain last night and today. It looks like it is coming from the grommet that the wiring goes through on the right side of the car - so I will be sealing that tomorrow. I have already had the pollen filter box out and sealed around that.

What I want to know is - has anyone ever replaced the grommet? and if so, is it only a Ford available part and secondly - the underlay / soundproofing under the carpet is breaking up - so what do I replace it with? and more importantly where do I get it from?

(the stuff that is breaking up looks like it was sprayed on).

Not sure about the grommit being available from Ford,, could always give them a ring and see if they do sell them... might be a long shot, but worth a go....

and you might have to find someone breaking a puma for an underlay, theres plenty of cars being broken about... or you could find out what its made from, and make your own/cut to size/shape

The grommets are part of the loom so cant be replaced.
Although, it very possibly not the grommet.
Our cars are renowned for wet footwells, and it can be a few things.
You`ll be best to dismantle the bits around the grommets and clear any crud thats blocking the drains and make sure the rubbers are seated properly.
If it still leaks, try to find where the water is getting in (it doesn`t run upwards ;-) )

Hi - Update:

Checked the grommets and they are all seated correctly. So purchased some liquid rubber and coated the grommets and that part of the engine bay in rubber. I also coated the seams around where the aircon pipes go into the car. It has since rained quite heavily and so far no leaks.

I have purchased a decent batch of Silent Coat - so when it arrives I am going to strip out the front of the car and re-soundproof the floor.

The oil leak - Update:

Had the car up in the air in my mates garage on Saturday. Cleaned the underside of the engine with brake fluid and an air line and waited with the engine running. Seems the oil leak is coming from just above the sump - right next to cam belt - possibly the vvt assembly (mechanic said that).

Now I would love to strip the engine and sort it properly - but I don't have the knowledge or experience - so for now I have changed the oil, spark plugs, oil filter and have shoved a tin of wynns engine seal into the oil. It apparently takes 200 miles before it works properly. I await with baited breath.

Note - I also changed the fuel filter - which is seems had not been changed since day one - the fuel ran out of the old fuel filter - BLACK - so all that crap is in the fuel lines.

Recommendations thus far are to replace the tank, fuel lines and have the injectors refurbed. Unless there is another way?!

Sorting out the body this week (rust) and polishing - got my G3 and polisher.

A good fuel system cleaner would do the trick. Halfords have a selection, STP or Wynn's gear is good.

Latest posts

Back