Emissions are too high

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evileye5060

Hi just had my mot today and it's failed on the emissions the mot person said it was the racing puma cat I have in there does any one know were I can get a cheap cat to bolt in for the next one in 10 days :-(

Racing Pumas went through a spat of failing on emissions but I haven't heard about it much recently. The old resolution was to ask the MOT tester to make sure that the cat was nice and hot before testing as it only seemed prevalent whilst cold.

Aside from that I don't have an answer except as you're already looking for a spare to fit.

I did wounder if it's because it's been sitting for about two years I duno if I shud try some red x or something it wasn't miles out from the readings I got .

When I had mine plugged into Forscan the other day I got the onscreen message of run the engine at 2000rpm for 30 seconds to get the 2nd Lambda reading properly, that seemed to work as I didn't get the message again. (mine's also a FRP cat) So as red says make sure the cat is really hot before the tester puts it onto the emissions tester.
Barry

Yup, I used it on my RX8 when I first bought it to clean all the system out as the previous owner never drove it over 30mph for nearly 2 years. You should have seen the crap that came out of it, was bloody impressive although the other road users probably thought my engine had blown :lol:

No idea if it helped lower emissions as I never checked before/after, but I do know that the hesitancy it had went and has never returned since using it nearly 4 years ago.

I used the cataclean and went back today still too high so gota find a temporary cat to put in place of the back box to get it through if any one got any ideas of what I could use it from.

To get your cat hot enough to work properly you need to sit in the car with revs held at 4-5k for about 15 mins! Mine has the full FRP exhaust and after that warm up it passes every time, otherwise it will just keep failing! It feels like the car will explode, but it won't, the rad fan may kick in a few times but that is fine, don't waste money bodging in a cat just try this first, the point of the racing cat is to not restrict flow, the result being it needs to be almost glowing to actually work! Cat cleaner or redex etc will not fix the problem as nothing is blocked

Yeah and when I spoke to a scrap man to get a cat to a replace the back box like the mot man said too they said it wouldn't work like that any way as the cat wouldn't get warm enuff to work that far away .so iv booked it to a diffrent one were they know how to get it hot enuff .booked in Wednesday for an emission check before the mot fingers crossed your right .

Good work, make sure you have plenty of fuel in it, they won't use much but you won't be in the good books if it's in the red with the fuel light on :) let us know how you get on

I will do m8 .Its got just over a quarter of a tank so hopefully that I'll be enuff .i cleaned the maf sensor today and tryed to get the lamber sensor out today to clean but it's stuck .also plugged my obd2 reader in and showing a malfunction with the evaporative emission control purge valve would this effect the high emissions it's just to do with pressure in the fuel tank isn't it .

Yeah I had a problem with mine too, it didn't effect emmisions just made the idle irratic and hold at 2k fixed it with a new valve from ford (£50ish)

I duno if this is normal but when I rev it up as the revs come down at gets to about 1200 revs and kind of bobs abit then finally drops to about over 800

Yeah that sounds like it, revs holding until you have stood still for 4/5 seconds then drop back to normal

That's just the way they work, my guess is that the engine is keeping 'ready' to rev again, and then drops after a few seconds to return to idle.

I see that's ok then thought there was something wrong with it .iv also put my ecu back in that I had mapped at amd Essex any one think that's a good idea or not or shud I put the standard one back it .some one said it might be better for the emission any one kno anything diffrent ..

the emissions he said were abit high and would just scrape through but the lambda sensor readings were up and down so he said its Probley that doing it but going to take it back there tomorrow to see if it's any diffrent with a standard ecu in as the lambda sensor readings were ok with that in .the other mot place were doing a road test emissions test which it would struggle to pass any way so that Wernt helping things .so gona kno tomorrow if I need a new lambda sensor then gona book a mot with him .glad I haven't gota buy a new cat .

Latest posts

Back