Engine noise

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benking

Ive got two problems and im not very good at describing things, but here it goes

Problem 1
When the car idles it sounds like there is a rattle snake in my engine, when i get close to the engine its coming from the left hand side of the engine. Any ideas??

Problem 2
When i put my foot down it sounds like i have a very angry dog in my engine, it growls very loudly, noticibly loader as time is going on. Is this normal?? Any ideas if its not.

Or do i have a zoo in my engine??

Do you have a cone filter or is it the standard air box?

Is it a good growling noise?

Is the rattling loud or is it just engine noise like tappets?

No filter, standard. It sounds like it has though, its getting louder as time goes on, or im noticing more not sure. Does it sound normal?

It could be tappets but just dont sound like them, its very hard to describe sounds. Its like a hissing noise as if its someing going round and round. its constant the speed stays the same no matter how hard i drive it. So from idleling to setting of the hissing noise is constant same volume

We're just debating what moving parts don't move faster in relation to the rpm...

If we can't pin-point the problem remotely, you're not that far away from us, come down and we'll put our heads together and try and work it out. :eek:k:

So if you are stationary and rev the engine the noise doesn't change volume or pitch?

No, the rattle is constant as soon as i turn the key. idle, moving after along drive, same pitch same consistency in terms of rattle. When i open the bonnet it sound like its coming from the left side of the engine. really irratating

Well as it goes around the crankshaft, it'll match engine revs.

[albumimg]138[/albumimg]

Is it lacking in power when you drive? Wonder if you've an air hose / pipe split if you've a hissing noise.

Thats a good idea. Will have to investigate a bit more.

The sound is kind of a revolving sound, it sounds like its a moving part. Ill will investigate this afternoon as its dry outside for the first time in god know how long

Right had a good look in the engine bay today and the noise is definately something to do with aux belt. Sitting in the car it was hard to tell if the seed was constant and it does sort of match the revs.

Any ideas?

Get a new one :eek:k:

£20ish

Maybe the tensioner?

Not done one myself, but shouldn't be that tricky I'd imagine. Jacko?

It's wearing yes, but not a "must do tomorrow" job.

Mines been squeaking for months... :(

thats good news as ive had to buy new tyres this week and im doing the brakes today. Hopefully sort it in new year

Latest posts

Back