Help!!!

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diver

Right guys can you help me. I've bought another puma in much better condition than the last one but its got a problem. When cold or for first 15 mins of journey it's fine then all of a sudden low on power up to 3000 rpm then pulls better. When this happens there is a very loud induction noise from airborne. It's been serviced regular, just had new HT leads, coil and plugs with correct gap set. TPS checked readings good. Haven't had a diagnostic but looking on the net and thus has happened to a few but nobody had posted the solution. Ring any bells with anyone??? Cheers.

I have a simmilar issue, and I'm leening towards a VCT or oil pressure issue... mine is fine when cold, but get's worse when hot..

I checkd oil pressure last night readings seem fine hot and cold. Drove again same thing happened but when switched engine off re started it was fine for a bit then went again. Fuel consumption bad also, ive got a funny feeling MAF but could be wrong. Going g to clean 2day and see what happens if not need diagnostic then go from there.

On a 'cold' start, the signal from the Lambda/O2 sensor is ignored, until the ECU goes into 'closed loop' control.
When the Lambda sensor is sending faulty readings to the ECU it causes rough running at low RPM and high fuel consumption.
Diagnostics would display a fault code.
Paul

I do have a new lambda, but it's not a OEM Ford one.

It would be interesting to se what happens if you swap your lambda sensor :)

Hi Cartman
Any brand of O2 sensor will(should) work, they just don't last as long as genuine OEM ones.
Paul

Do you mean pre or post sensor 747? Sorry don't know your name.

I think it's the pre cat sensor which usually gives problems, the other one is there for checking the cat is doing its job.

Paul

IF the fuels gone mad, 100% O2 sensor, as above its the pre cat one, get a model specific one usually about £90, the generic ones are about £35 but create problems at MOT time and if you push the car hard you can kill them really quick.

OK thanks for info guys. Tried cleaning the MAF with no difference so oxygen sensor next port of call. Just had to give up work due to health reasons so bit skint at present, so will get new one in about 100 years :)

What year is your Puma?
I suspect from one of your previous posts that you have a later model with 2 sensors?
I have one from a '99 model (only one sensor on the manifold in the engine bay) which was working fine before the car was scrapped, you can have it for the cost of postage if it's any good to you. I'm not sure if they are interchangeable. Maybe someone else will be able to confirm?
Paul

Thanks Paul, yea it's a 2002 model. I will do some research and find out.

I belive they are all interchangable :)

I was running a 98 sensor, on my 99/00 FRP ECU whit no problems at all until after the last winter storrag, when I found corotion in some of the plugs.

BTW Driver, You should check your main wiering loom conectors. there is one by the right hand side headlight, and one under the ignition coil. both these can cause problems if some of the wiers are coroded :)

Ok update, its now doing it when cold first 2-3 minutes then clears then agsin when warm. Anyone got maf test data?

Pm sent Paul. Checked connections. Cleaned and copper greased the pins Cartman but still no joy.

Latest posts

Back