Squeaky Fanbelt

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sarah

Er, it was last marked up at its MOT in March last year <ducks> and am off work 'til Thursday so am thinking of getting it done, 'cos it's getting quite noisy. How much approx should I be paying, including labour as I'm a girl and bereft of male friends at present time who would normally get greasy for me... :D

The part is peanuts, the labour is another matter. It's a bit of a tricky one, and ideally done when the cambelt is changed as it involves taking the black cover off the side which goes right the way down the side of the engine.

Have you had the cambelt changed on yours yet?

ur auxilliary belt?
you can pick one up for about £12 spondoolies... doesnt take much fitting tbh, me and my dad did mine last time took about 40 mins in total....

Cherie said:
The part is peanuts, the labour is another matter. It's a bit of a tricky one, and ideally done when the cambelt is changed as it involves taking the black cover off the side which goes right the way down the side of the engine.

Have you had the cambelt changed on yours yet?

Ooh, yeah, cambelt's been changed....Pumabuild did it and I thought they changed the aux belt at the same time, but it was flagged up at last year's MOT bizarrely enough....

I've got a couple of male mates who are normally around, but are climbing in Scotland at the moment, back in a week - do you think it'd be okay to hold out 'til then? It's just starting to bug me, but I don't want to pay through the nose particularly as my only local garage are <ducks once more> Kwik Fit....

Bloody hell chuck - thought you'd disappeared up a mountain somewhere never to re-appear.

A squeaky aux belt isn't really something to worry about straight away - mines been like it for months - but shouldn't cost much to do as it's a simple enough job. Wait until the next service if it's due one soon?

Don't go to Kwik Fit : it'll wait.

Soz...new job has taken me far, far away. Well, only 40 miles from my house but been knackered with the switch from nights to days and we don't have any external internet either, so, er, just looked up from typing this, Dal, and saw Garfield swinging his arse at me. Anyway, I digress! Okay, it can wait...I'll take it to Pumabuild; due its MOT in March and could do with a tiny service inbetween then and now, anyhow.

Cheers peeps - hope you all had a good Christmas

I'll echo the Quick Fit comments - give the tools to a bunch of monkeys and they'd do a better job!

The sound I complained about initially in this thread isn't the fanbelt squeaking, but it's started to squeak today - especially when it's cold. Tends to go away when it's warmed up. Am I okay, do you think, to get it changed this Saturday?

Yeah, a squeaky belt will wait a bit.

What was the initial sound then or is it top secret?

Sarah said:
The sound I complained about initially in this thread isn't the fanbelt squeaking, but it's started to squeak today - especially when it's cold. Tends to go away when it's warmed up. Am I okay, do you think, to get it changed this Saturday?

Exactly the same as what mines doing. With mine the water pump is dripping onto the belt, the longer it stands there, the wetter it gets. After 5 mins it goes, i reckon it could be your water pump.

Hmm, and how much would that be to fix and is that hugely urgent? It's only started making the noise - if it is the pump - in the past week or so[/b]

Am texting from my car! I've just driven to work and noticed that the pitch of th squeak changes, lowers when the clutch is depressed. Is this another gearbox related nightmare? I wouldnt have thought the fanbelt had 'owt to do with the clutch...

Sarah said:
I'm a girl and bereft of male friends at present time who would normally get greasy for me... :D

Here he comes...
benazir-knight-shining-armour.JPG

:lol:

My aux belt is noisy I usually just spray WD40 on it until it shuts up!
If the noise changes with the clutch depressed it could be the drive plate is a bit warped...if the clutch is depressed try telling it it's not the end of The World (yet) :lol:

I believe you can get a water pump for around the £30 mark. However you then need to fit it. Its quite a bitch of a job i hear as you need to take the cam belt off. Im putting mine off as long as i can, the pump is still working so im going to wait until after the wedding, and new tyres are needed first.

There is also a noise of mine that goes when you dip the clutch and returns when you take it out. Maybe our pumas were one after the other!

Back