LOW RPM, no start etc.

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mihalyn90

Soooo hello :)

Yesterday the brake discs and pads were changed all fine... went after the car, the guy took it out the garage... all fine... went home parked etc.

In about 2 hours... went to the car... keys in, ignite, engined turned over, but nothing...

Tried again and well kept it on the key until finally crancked but the RPM was low as... 300... almost stalled... pressed the gas, went to 2k... dropped back to 1100... since than, all fine...

any idea what happened?

Sometimes if you don't pause a second or two for the fuel pump to prime, it can take a lot of cranking to get them running again! My first stop at a petrol station on the way home from picking up the car resulted in me thinking "I've bought a broken car!"

Then it did start so I just looked silly.

Thought it might have been sunstroke :grin:

Sometimes the wee Puma objects to being started when hot, just a thought

The Arch Bishop said:
[post]351820[/post] Sometimes if you don't pause a second or two for the fuel pump to prime, it can take a lot of cranking to get them running again! My first stop at a petrol station on the way home from picking up the car resulted in me thinking "I've bought a broken car!"

Then it did start so I just looked silly.

i do always prime... this time it just didn't worked out... i don't know what happened...

Bit of a tough one if everything is now fine, but you're probably now a bit weary just in case it happens again.

ICV may have temporarily jammed causing bad idle
Lambda may have given a false reading causing the ECU to lean the fuel out
MAF may have given the wrong reading making the ECU think more air was going in that really was, so it reduced the fueling to compensate

Could be a multitude of things really...

Unfortunately these little Pumas have strange quirks that none of us will ever get to the bottom of!

in almost one year this thing happened to me... twice... no more... twice... all fine since... :)

Sometimes if you touch the accelerator as you try and crank it over it will gas it up and may not start. If you do this leave it 10 mins and it should start ok.
Barry

no was nothing like this... i usually park in second gear... when i get in, i put the keys in, turn to ignition 2, put my belt, and after that rotate the key to start while i'm holding the clutch and brake... no gas at all...

Pumas have a 'feature' (shared with Fiestas I believe) where after a short-ish journey where the car hasn't warmed up properly they struggle to start, turning over but not catching. The answer when it won't start - and I think it's covered in the manual - is to fully depress both clutch and accelerator whilst in neutral and then turn the key, giving it up to ten seconds to start (it won't normally take that long though), then take your foot off the accelerator when it revs up.

It never seems to matter how long after the previous journey you try and restart it (I've had it happen the following day), and very short journeys (e.g. moving it from the drive to the road) don't seem to cause it. It's as if after a short journey then when you next try and restart it the ECU thinks the engine is warmer than it is for some reason and underfuels.

If when you collected it from the garage in May it's only a few minutes drive to your home it makes it very likely that was the issue.

it's not about not starting my friend, it starts just fine... only in verry low rpm... 300-400...

Latest posts

Back