What could this be?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chilipalmer

Puma sat for about a month. Today I wanted to take it for a ride and decided to have a butchers under the car and saw this sad spectacle. Here's some pics:

vqttg7.jpg

s3j9dz.jpg

2dgm0kk.jpg

And a very bad video (sorry for this, I was in a hurry):

https://youtu.be/zBIE_Wd5vV4

Any help will be dearly appreciated!

That is an oil leak. It could be either engine oil or the gerabox oil. If it is greenish, it is gearbox oil.
Possible leaking spots (gearbox):
a) input shaft seal
b) joint of two housings (should be sealed by sealant only, no seal there)
c) driveshaft seals
Judging by the looks, it could be either a) or b). Both mean taking the gearbox down is a must. If it is b), you need to dissassemble the gearbox (necessitating loaning/borrowing the 5th gear puller)

Or, it could be a failure of the crankshaft seal, the big one, next to flywheel. Again, that means taking down the gearbox is a must

Thanks for the reply.

Even though the oil we see in these pics is black I believe the leak is coming from the gearbox.

Do you reckon cleaning this area would making it easier to spot the origin of the leak?

Of course you need to clean it. Maybe it is driveshaft that has failed in which case gearbox can stay on. For any other scenario it has to be taken off meaning you would be smart to replace the clutch as well when the gearbox is down already... Plus, it might be that the clutch is contaminated with oil and will start slipping

Believe me, that's nothing to be worried about. Now this is an oil leak

I've only ever topped up the box oil once in the near 6 years i've had it and it's fine. A very small amount of oil goes a long way because it has such low surface tension.

Latest posts

Back