Puma won't start properly

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dawn19

Hi

My Puma broke down a few weeks ago, fuel pump had gone, had it replaced and it had burnt out the starter motor through keep trying to start it. Since then it either won't start or starts but as soon as you let the revs drop it cuts out or idles perfectly well and cuts out if you try to rev it any clues as to what the problem may be garage's diagnostic machine not registering any problems

When you first realised that the fuel pump 'had gone', what was the fuel gauge showing at the time?

Did you get the fuel filter changed at the same time? If not, then doing so now would be a very good idea.

First noticed problem with fuel pump when the car suddenly stopped whilst going round a roundabout, had to call AA who diagnosed a fuel pump failure,they towed me to a garage who changed the fuel pump and then told me the starter motor had burnt out through trying to restart the car. Since the starter motor has been changed the problem describe earlier has appeared, until the fuel pump failed I hadn't had any problems starting the car it always started first time every time.

Change fuel filter, see if problem persists.

Edit: unsure how much you know cars already but if some cruddy yucky stuff (rust, debris etc) that has been floting around in your tank has been sucks into the filter it will be obstructing the flow of fuel to the engine, which could cause the running issue you describe. That's why changing the fuel filter is the first (and most simple) thing you can try at the moment in an effort to resolve the problem.

Spoken to the garage and the fuel filter has been changed and the problem persists

My first thoughts are check the spark plugs, and throttle position sensor.

Might be silly question but...was the battery disconnected for a while in the garage? If so has the car had chance to "re-learn" its settings?

Just a thought

To date it's had a new starter motor new fuel pump new spark plugs new cat and fuel filter it now starts first time and will idle ok for a short while then when I try to turn a corner or pull away from parked it cuts out unless it's over revved

Back