real mileage on an analogue dash

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mihalyn90

Hello,

I tried an ELM37 type of obd2... a china fake something... tried DS150E software, and FORscan, but neither showed my real mileage... which software can i check that with?

Thanks,

None as far as I'm aware of?

The MOT / equivalent history is a good place to start but if there's no paper work that's tracked it then you're unlikely to find out if the clock has been tampered with.

Well the clock i don't know... although... it's an analogue one... it should be written in the PCM... but Forscan detected my puma as a fiesta with MY plate... 99... but mine is a 98...

The mileage isn't written on the PCM.

The analogue mileage is changed mechanically by a cable drive driven directly from the gearbox which has nothing to do with the PCM.

The digital mileage is stored within the dash/dial unit, hence why when you change the dials, the mileage is relevant to the car they came from and not the car it's being fitted to.
The mileage for digital I believe is changed using signals from the gearbox speed sensor.

Is there any way to pull the 'real' mileage from the ECU / PCM on a digital dash model? I know the mileage shownon the clocks is stored in the clocks, just wondered if the car mileage rather than dash displayed mileage is stored anywhere? Only ask as mine has had various clock changes over its 13 years with me, but I stupidly never wrote down the mileage each time

XAF said:
[post]357411[/post] I know the mileage shown on the clocks is stored in the clocks, just wondered if the car mileage rather than dash displayed mileage is stored anywhere?
Probably/possibly, but I don't know how you'd access the info.

ECUs are little computers and the manufacturers of the hardware make them pretty generic, so that the car manufacturers can pick and choose which features to breadboard into the ECU for that vehicle.

As a known feature in some vehicles is a little message popping up, along the lines of 'Whoa, you lamer, how come you haven't had the 5,000 mile service done yet?' (I'm kidding, the service reminder indicator just flashes)...then I'm reckoning that the only way it could do that is to store the mileage info in the ECU, as well as the dash. So, in theory, that info 'might' be in the Puma ECU, but not used.

Browsing the ECU with Forescan Forskin Forscan might show it.

Latest posts

Back