Paint change informations :)

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mihalyn90

Hello,

I got a Moondust silver pumy, and she soon goes for a doctor to be welded :)

after it i will get the car shaved, shaped and with missing color spots... only in spritzchit (some filler type).

After that, she goes to painting... but... and idea struck me... I want a low gloss/matte finish...
Now how should i proceed...
1. sand down completely, apply matte basecoat, apply matte clearcoat
2. touch up the paint, sand a bit the clearcoat for grip, and apply after matte clearcoat (cheapest i think)
3. sand it down to basecoat (remove whole clearcoat), paint with moondust silver and after that a matte clearcoat?

Thanks,

mihalyn90 said:
[post]357898[/post] After that, she goes to painting... but... and idea struck me... I want a low gloss/matte finish...
Now how should i proceed...
Buy a dozen cans of cheap hairspray and spray the car with them. The car will have a low gloss/matte finish and look awful and then you can think again about that idea. Then wash the car to remove it all.

Incidentally, hairspray is still used to seal the surface of pastel paintings, but it will darken the colours, as will the 'proper' fixative that costs 20 x as much. Far better to store under glass, as you would a watercolour.

Matte I said :)

4A453627-C15E-46EF-BDA6-64E7CBFD0EED_zpstnro3p0l.jpg~original

will go for a full repaint... will talk to the color shop see what they suggest...

mihalyn90 said:
[post]357908[/post] Matte I said :)
Paint it olive green matte and you can have fun scaring the old shepherds into thinking that the Soviets have come back. :)

with matt clearcoat, the booth you have to spray it in, (and when I mean you have to, you have to! no choice in the matter) it has to be clean, or super clean.

doesn't matter what the colour comes out like as the matt/satin lacquer that gets applied will change any colour

that matt grey looks the nuts though! was considering going a matt/satin finish with spirit blue but not sure how that would look.

when doing full body repaint its better to apply new colour all over the vehicle, and silver by the way is a right old pain in the backside! no matter how I paint it on, its all down to the drop coat to even out all the silver so it doesn't come out cloudy or patchy or even stripy!

however the best way for you to get the price down for repaint, is to do the prep yourself! its easier with an air powered DA sander, electric ones are ok, but don't achieve the same prep work, probably could dent or make halos in the paintwork that will make it difficult to paint over.

need any more info just ask!

seems like i will do the body work now... just arrived two pug wings...
after that we will do the paint... it will be made in a painting chamber no stress :) but i was thinking about doing a whole new basecoat, or just touch up... :D if touch up is enough i'll go with this moondust silver... if a new basecoat is needed, i will go to a bit darker shade, and blend in the spots too... more spots, but hexa style :D

Frank I know i am the one who made the puma a soviet tank one but olive green looks like stork diarrhea dropped from space... yet i beg to differ... the spots are spot on:
Shoot2.jpg

Latest posts

Back