Early and late 1.7 fuel pumps

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tuonokid

Does anyone know if there is any difference between early and late model pumps for a 1.7 Puma? I have a fuel pump from my R reg 1.7 and if it's not a straight swap for my 51 plate Digi Dash 1.7 I might as well sell it as put it into storage with my other bits.
Cheers
Barry

There is a definite difference between the early and late sender units. As a mate of mine has just found out, trying to replace one.
The car still runs fine, it`s the sender unit which works differently on the digi/analogue cars.
I`m pretty sure the gauge reads `backwards` with the wrong sender.

Cheers Stu, I was hoping someone would know. I'll stick it up for sale with my other cheap bits.
Barry

I see a lot of posts regarding the compatibility/differences of these digital & analogue fuel pumps/sender units which leads me to this question...

Why does it seem that everyone wants to change the entire fuel pump/sender unit instead of just swapping/replacing the pump itself..?

Bearing in mind Barry that you did mention the words 'straight swap'!

Changing the unit doesn't require any strip down.

Pump motor swap needs power and fluid fittings removing. Probably by the time someone has taken the pipes off the top and broken either the clips or their forefingers they're not willing to risk compromising any further appendages.

Entirely possible to do so though.

Hi Ian
Whilst you're still online is the fitting into the tank the same on both pumps because at some point I would like to buy a new fuel tank and would like to know whether my car needs a later or earlier tank (if different)
Barry

Cheers for replying Ian. I'd love to future proof mine by buying and storing a new fuel tank but it looks like I'll have to wait for more info.
Barry

tuonokid said:
[post]359556[/post] Cheers for replying Ian. I'd love to future proof mine by buying and storing a new fuel tank but it looks like I'll have to wait for more info.
Barry

Barry,
Did you find some more information already about a possible difference? Never noticed there were 2 types. I have a 2000 car fuel tank on my early puma and it works just fine. At first looks the 1084659 is the most common. The thing I am more concerned about is the quality of the aftermarket fuel tanks. Can't remember but I think I read some complaints about them, though there's a lot of nonsense on the internet so they may be just fine. I would prefer a genuine one but the price is ridiculous :roll:

Hi Tyler
No I haven't found anything else about them but I have noticed on several ads and on one that a member bought that the breather pipe for the filler cap exits the fuel tank at the wrong angle on the after market one. I don't think it's a hard problem to fix (weld another stub on or use a longer rubber breather pipe) it's just a bit of a pain if you want to bolt it straight on. I think Quest (Gary) on here knows a bit more info as well as he's bought and fitted aftermarket tanks.
Barry

Latest posts

Back