Lambda won't budge

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

g-whizz

I need to replace my lambda for MOT but it's staging a sit-in, can't get it to move. It's the pre-cat and am using a 22mm lambda socket but it's so tight in there that when applying torque instead of loosening it's simply spreading the jaws on the socket & slipping off. Tried WD40 & also running car to get manifold hot, nice and cloudy after the WD40 but little other effect. :?

If I cut the cable, am wondering if a 22mm box spanner will be strong enough (maybe with bit of blowtorching, although not something I've attempted before) but thought I'd check if anyone else got a better solution on how to free it up beforehand?

Hi Greg
If you know someone who's had Honda motorbikes before sometimes there's a hex ring spanner of 22mm size for adjusting chain tension in the tool kit. You're welcome to borrow mine but there may be someone closer to you with one.
Barry

tuonokid said:
[post]360392[/post] Hi Greg
If you know someone who's had Honda motorbikes before sometimes there's a hex spanner of 22mm size for adjusting chain tension in the tool kit. You're welcome to borrow mine but there may be someone closer to you with one.
Barry

Hi Barry, cheers for offer but hoping to get it sorted before weekend so I can head up to you & on to Barnsley ( seeing as how there's a break in the rugby :grin: ) no Honda heads here, that I know at any rate, but have just found this 22mm diesel injector socket that's 100mm long:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Diesel-Injector-Socket-WITH-Window-22mm-1-2-Drive-Extra-Long-/160676541798?hash=item2569117566:m:mNXG67EErvAK0RkZHzDe_ZQ

£13 but should be a lot stronger than a box spanner. Also looks a better bet than a regular lambda socket when the wire's hooked through. If no-one has any other neat solution I may try that.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2004-HONDA-CBF500-TOOL-KIT-UNDER-SEAT-TOOLS-83-/272554828066?hash=item3f7588a122:g:sygAAOSwdGFYoJPO

Just as an example you can see the hex ring spanners on this photo

g-whizz said:
[post]360391[/post] it's simply spreading the jaws on the socket & slipping off. Tried WD40 & also running car to get manifold hot, nice and cloudy after the WD40 but little other effect
I will refrain from offering any advice on this (not least because this is precisely the type of job that I'd get some other poor slob to do) other than to add that WD40 is good for just one thing and that, er, is being WD40. For anything else it is a 'Jack of all trades..'

PlusGas is your friend for a job like that and always seems to work (I don't mean friend literally, of course, it's just an expression)

:)

g-whizz said:
[post]360396[/post]
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Diesel-Injector-Socket-WITH-Window-22mm-1-2-Drive-Extra-Long-/160676541798?hash=item2569117566:m:mNXG67EErvAK0RkZHzDe_ZQ

£13 but should be a lot stronger than a box spanner. Also looks a better bet than a regular lambda socket when the wire's hooked through. If no-one has any other neat solution I may try that.

Are you sure the lambda connector passes through that socket? Looks unlikely to me, I am affraid

Frank said:
[post]360398[/post]... will refrain from offering any advice on this (not least because this is precisely the type of job that I'd get some other poor slob to do)
...PlusGas is your friend for a job like that and always seems to work (I don't mean friend literally, of course, it's just an expression)
:)

Hi Frank, I fancied having a crack at it, it's part of my ongoing campaign to be humiliated by inanimate objects :) Cheers for tip on PlusGas, will give it a shot :eek:k:

Wild E. Coyote said:
[post]360404[/post]
Are you sure the lambda connector passes through that socket? Looks unlikely to me, I am affraid

Hi Sinisa, I'd have to cut the old wiring, it's knackered anyway. I'd then tighten the new one with the lambda socket that can't remove the old sensor. Was thinking I'd have to pull wire through window but of course can just snip at sensor end rather than connector so no need to, just thought this socket was stronger than a box spanner. If I could find a deep enough 22mm socket would do the job too :eek:k:
P.S. any developments on the IB6? Hope it going well :eek:k:

1) Leave to soak overnight with plus gas. (GT85 is also very good at loosening rusted parts).
2) get manifold as hot as possible by running car until rad fan kicks in
3) try to undo, if it still won't budge , try doing it up clockwise until it moves, then undo.
4) I have used a very long 22mm dog legged ring spanner to undo very tight lambdas in the past, however you will be limited on hitting the steering rack or engine block as space is very tight.
However once it moves you can resume using either of your 22mm socket's :thumbs:

DOH said:
[post]360410[/post] 1) Leave to soak overnight with plus gas. (GT85 is also very good at loosening rusted parts).
2) get manifold as hot as possible by running car until rad fan kicks in
3) try to undo, if it still won't budge , try doing it up clockwise until it moves, then undo.
4) I have used a very long 22mm dog legged ring spanner to undo very tight lambdas in the past, however you will be limited on hitting the steering rack or engine block as space is very tight.
However once it moves you can resume using either of your 22mm socket's :thumbs:

Hi DOH, cheers for that...Plusgas on order, will give it a go :eek:k:

If that is an option to you, I would rather take the exhaust down and then, with all the space in the world, attack the lambda with various spanners and tools.

PS. I am now in the middle of sorting the VSS signal for the B6 gearbox. Once that is out of to do list, the only thingies left will be the driveshafts (still not here with me to have a good look at them and decide on my next course of action) and the mount which I somehow believe (or rather hope) will be the least of my problems...

tuonokid said:
[post]360412[/post] Hi Greg
If it's not sorted soon my hex spanner will sort it when you come over :)
Barry

Hi Barry, cheers but will need to be sorted before as can't see it getting through MOT otherwise. Fingers crossed. :)

Wild E. Coyote said:
[post]360413[/post] If that is an option to you, I would rather take the exhaust down and then, with all the space in the world, attack the lambda with various spanners and tools.

PS. I am now in the middle of sorting the VSS signal for the B6 gearbox. Once that is out of to do list, the only thingies left will be the driveshafts (still not here with me to have a good look at them and decide on my next course of action) and the mount which I somehow believe (or rather hope) will be the least of my problems...

Hi Sinisa,
I'm quite limited here for facilities (and skills of course) so if it gets to that stage I may just adopt Frank's 'poor slob' approach :) I suspect my mechanic mate with a blowtorch and a deep 22mm would whip it off in 5mins but what I lack in ability I make up for in fortitude so will give it a go myself first :wink:

Really rooting for you on the IB6, for me would be one of the best mods ever done as it would bring the Puma much more up to date, long motorway drives will be a lot more enjoyable I suspect. :thumbs: You think there'll be much of an mpg improvement as well?
Greg.

In case it's not obvious (tbh I'm never sure what is obvious to other people or not) in addition to just spraying a fixing with PlusGas, it's far more effective if you then soak a cotton pad or piece of kitchen roll in it and wrap that around the fixing and rubber band it. It acts like a mini reservoir and the liquid gets drawn in by capillary action.

The longer you leave it the better, but you already knew that. :)

Frank said:
[post]360421[/post] In case it's not obvious (tbh I'm never sure what is obvious to other people or not) in addition to just spraying a fixing with PlusGas, it's far more effective if you then soak a cotton pad or piece of kitchen roll in it and wrap that around the fixing and rubber band it. It acts like a mini reservoir and the liquid gets drawn in by capillary action.

The longer you leave it the better, but you already knew that. :)

Always best to err on side of caution Frank, :thumbs: saves me turning the engine upside down and leaving manifold to soak in a bowl! :wink:

Cut the wires, use a 22mm impact socket and a breaker bar and swing on the bastard.

That'll get it out.

TGPlayer1 said:
[post]360452[/post] Cut the wires, use a 22mm impact socket and a breaker bar and swing on the bastard.

That'll get it out.

Hi TG,
Funnily enough, that's EXACTLY the strategy I've settled on (with a Plusgas soak for good measure) as measured the sensor plug and realised I should just get a deep impact socket on it and a set wouldn't cost a lot more than than the single socket listed above... Just waiting for them to arrive and can have a crack at it :eek:k:

TGPlayer1 said:
[post]360452[/post] Cut the wires, use a 22mm impact socket and a breaker bar and swing on the bastard.

That'll get it out.

That's exactly how I got mine out!

Latest posts

Back