Boot wont open with the key

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

colindiane

Hi everyone.
Need help fixing the boot lock on my wifes Puma Maggie.
The boot lock used to be hard to turn with the key but always opened.
Remote doesnt work by the way.
It started to get harder to open as follows.
Put the key in the lock and turn it until it finally clicked open towards the end of the keys travel.
Then started to open only right at the end of the keys travel almost felt like braking the key before it clicked open.
I used wd40 on it which helped for a while until it stopped opening totally.
I can turn the key in the lock as far as it will go but theres no noise or click just nothing.
Does the way it failed mean something in particular could have gone or could it be anything.
Any help would be great.
Cheers Colin...

Hi Colin
Mine was the same, replace the boot lid solenoid and all will be well. Trouble is it's a rear bumper off to get at the bolts for the solenoid. If you're keeping the car I've done a mod on my project thread which means I can take off the solenoid now without removing the bumper.
Barry

Cheers Barry.
Will try that,i should manage it as im always fixing something on Maggie to keep the old girls wheels turning lol.
My wifes had her for six years now and can't bear the thought of having to drive another car.
Thanks again Colin..

You're welcome Colin. If you can't find a supplier for a new boot solenoid try Ian G on here.
Barry

Hi Barry
Forgot about the other fault that started last week lol.
Car wouldnt start one morning,battery fine,alternater fine.Turned the key one morning and totally dead no noise at all just silence.Hade a look under the bonnet for anything obvious and everything looked normal.Got back in the car and turned the key again and she fired up fine.She's been ok for a week ish and did it again this morning then started after a few attempts.I'm thinking starter motor straight away because everything else seems fine. What do you think.
Cheers Colin.
What do you think

Hi Colin
If I was you I'd check the battery leads and the starter motor leads to make sure they are fine and making good contact and go on from there. If the starter motor is on it's way out it can start clicking on the solenoid before it completely fails so if it refuses to start again have the bonnet open and a glamorous assistant to hand to listen for the clicks.
Barry

Cheers Barry
Will let you know how i get on and thanks again for the great advice especially about the glamorous assistant.
Now where can i get one of them from,i'll just have to use the wife lol..
Cheers Colin..

Latest posts

Back