gearbox jammed in second

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

demonskull13

hi all finished changing my clutch today and bled the system before i bled the system i had gone through all the gears and they were fine and left it in second so put the rest back together then got in and the gear was stuck in second and havent got a clue why so in the morning i shall jack the car up and move the wheels and see if i can get it out of second anyone had this problem before? thanks to everyone in advance for the information

Thankyou

Jason

:p :roll: :'(

Hi again so have had puma up in the air put clutch in started her let clutch out slowly started driving the wheels but selector still stuck in second so disconnected gear selector from the shaft that goes into the gearbox but is sized in there all looks good no damage on it put tools through the hole and tried hammering it from the bottom then the top with crow bar wont shift any one got any ideas please could i take it to a garage? would it be cheap? as is only dissconnecting one bolt and freeing up. i really dont want to have to buy a new gearbox. but what confusses me is before i bled the brakes it was going into every gear easyly thanks in advance for any information

Jason

hi still stuck in second drove her round the bloke to see if that heped but still nothing luky i have a slopped drive so drove up and can roll back down. But still confussed why she stuck in second

Jason

Firstly I doubt if the bleeding has any baring on this as it sounds as though the clutch is working, ie you push the clutch in and the car stops...so
Really have no idea as refitting clutch, bell housing etc should have no effect on gear selector..so
Not sure how the selector works inside the Puma box (could do with an exploded diagram...anybody) and the selector may not be the problem anyway, but is it possible that on refitting drive shafts that the box has to be in a particular gear? in which case it is obviously not second!
Sorry not to be more help but I am sure this has come up before somewhere
You may have no option but to remove driveshaft again, take it out of gear and refit

Gearboxes are not my thing, but don't I recall something about using a 9mm drill as a guide to get the gear selector in the right place? Might be nothing to do with this, but it's all I've got.

Do a search here for 9mm to find the thread.

zinc2000 said:
[post]362048[/post] Firstly I doubt if the bleeding has any baring on this as it sounds as though the clutch is working, ie you push the clutch in and the car stops...so
Really have no idea as refitting clutch, bell housing etc should have no effect on gear selector..so
Not sure how the selector works inside the Puma box (could do with an exploded diagram...anybody) and the selector may not be the problem anyway, but is it possible that on refitting drive shafts that the box has to be in a particular gear? in which case it is obviously not second!
Sorry not to be more help but I am sure this has come up before somewhere
You may have no option but to remove driveshaft again, take it out of gear and refit

the thing is when gearbox was back in and the drive shafts i went through all the gears and they were fine untill i bled the clutch and put battery back on then it was stuck in second then.

:p :roll: :eek:k:

Jason

Hi, sorry misread your post, though you still had it part dismantled....so

Look up "gear selection issues" this will lead you to a thread which might help you more and Frank is (again) more on the right line than me. :)

Can you shift gears when you uncouple the shifting rod, just by using a screwdriwer on the shifting axis?
Put a pair of vice grips around selector shaft, if all is ok with the gearbox you should be able to move it, as if selecting the gears.

Hi all so no luck with my selector in the gearbox so have just bought one thats done 36k and checked the selector and its fine so next is old gearbox out new in tommorow then have a look at the old one if i cant fix i might take it apart and see how it works then the old spline can be used as a clutch alighnment tool

:p :roll: :eek:k:

Jason

Hi Jason
It might be stuck between gears, if you turn the engine over whilst trying to free the selector rod you may have some success.
Barry

Hi all gearbox issue fixed got help from someone on ford pumas owners group and this is it got told that the nut under the filler plug might be the issue and to loosen it off a few turns thing is that nuts out and so is filler plug and after reading it a minute ago i remembered my gearstick is still connected so thought i would go out to the car and try the gears and they are working fine annoyed with myself though as just bought new gearbox with 36k on it for £70 and £30 petrol i thought it was working before i bled it. drive shafts are still in and drain plug under filler plug is off so is filler plug so it must be the drain plug how tight is that supossed to be or i suppose i could tighten check gears then if needs be back it off a bit so happy from your information though saved me a big job thankyou and thankyou again.

Thankyou

Jason

:p :thumbs: :eek:k: :pose2:

P.S hopefully this will help someone else that the selector gets stuck with. connfusing though thinking about it as the plug is at the front of the gearbox and the selector is at the back???? any way it works now and have seen others with problems like this so hope it helps others to

Latest posts

Back