Fuel gauge

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AngelitoGt

So someone plz help me . I opened my speedometer and somehow i managed to broke my fuel gauge needle so i had to take it of and put a toothpick (maybe dumb idea but just for the moment i painted red btw xp anyway ) i remember my fuel gauge was at 1/4 of the tank and when i put it back i put it in the same place i dont remember why but in the moment i thought it was good idea to put it to empty and the gauge to take itself back in where it was i think i did it twice thise and now my fuel gauge show that i have a freaking half tank !!! Now i dont know if this is right or wrong but before i mess around even when the needle was down the red zone no fuel warning light appeared only if it was very down is there a possibility thet i actually reset and fixed it or i screwed all the way ,!? Please help cause i dont know how to tell if i actually have half tank or the fuel gauge broked is there a way to reset it to calibrate itself ?

You can't reset or calibrate without taking the needle back off but you can use the fuel sender to move the guage. Problem being that you'd need the tank off to do it which is a major job. Even if you had a spare sender to plug in, you'd still need access to the plug which again requires the tank removing.

Other option is to break in to the wire somewhere and put resistors across the wires but from memory I'm not even sure what impedance you would need.

I'm pretty sure (but could be wrong) the low fuel light is controlled by the ECU. Once the ECU reads a certain fuel level for a predetermined time it then makes the fuel light turn on.

It's not easy trying to get the needle back in exactly the same place as you have to take in to account the weight of the needle. They weigh next to nothing but they make a difference!

My suggestion would be to replace the actual gauge itself. The gauges themselves are separate to and can be removed/unplugged from the main circuit board. This allows you to replace the actual gages themselves and keep the original mileage buy keeping the rest of the unit.

Thanks a lot for your answers i aprecciatte it . First if i replace the gauge will it calibrate and show me the measurment right ? 2) where can i find original gauge that actually work cause if i dont know how much fuel is in my tank how do i know that the new gauge itself works right ? 3 what if i take the needle from the temp. Gauge and put it in to the fuel will it work ? Thnx very much i appreciate your answers

There is no calibration. The gauge will read what the tank sender tells it to so a replacement gauge should read correctly. If the sender reads half tank the gauge should read the same.
Getting a second hand/replacement set of gauges will give you the parts you need.
You could take the needle from somewhere else. You can get a kitchen fork under it and pop it off, but as I said before, it is VERY hard to get it right!
The needles are VERY fragile as you have found out.

I removed my needles in the past to fit neon gauges but I could not get the needles right any more. I replaced them instead.

So the lesson here is not to screw around with the needles. Anyway today im at the car and just to see i poped out the needle from temp gauge and put it in the fuel i put it where i know the fuel was and i put it back it seemed like it worked thanks for your answers i hope thish thread help someone else in the future :grin:

Can you please point me somewhere online that has gauge for ford puma 1998 est ? Cause i dont seem to find any . Thnx a lot

Update : i managed to fix my gauge by going to petrol station e fill it all up and then put the needle from the temp gauge to the fuel gauge into full position after letting it 1 minute with the engine on so it could calibrate itself to full and put the needle in to full now i will see how it works as it eats up fuel

P.s it its a lot even thats only the 1.4 model

Latest posts

Back