steering lock

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

demonskull13

hi coming down the motorway today and was going straight turned left slightly and it felt like the steering lock come on very slightly and has been doing so since but only when i turn left is there anyway of fixing without buying new bits eg could i take cover off and if it is the steering lock would i be able to cut a slither off or could it be i need a new ignition barrel

thankyou for any information

Jason

:p :roll: :roll:

demonskull13 said:
[post]363533[/post] hi coming down the motorway today and was going straight turned left slightly and it felt like the steering lock come on very slightly ...
... could it be i need a new ignition barrel
Whatever it felt like it's not going to be the steering lock, is it now?!

General check of all steering and suspension components required, but this is likely to be a nearside power steering fault.

First reaction is....change the barrel before it suddenly locks completely!!

However as the steering lock is basically a steel pin that goes into the column it is unlikely to "be coming on slightly" ie it is in or out with nothing in between, so if you think the fault is on the column rather than under the car, first check everything around the column, anything loose/dragging as you turn, could even be the shroud has moved, but please check now rather than later as if it is the steering lock and is does lock on as you are moving that only ends one way and that is in the hedge!
Then as above go underneath

it is definatly comeing from the stearing wheel end as i can feel it if it was lower i dont think i could i also checked the indicator return so put indicator on then steared left slightly didnt make any difference as it has that kind of feel when indicator switches itself off but i have recently replaced the passenger side stearing boot as it was an advisory on last mot and also track rod end still have drivers to do but cant get track rod end off when i do that side i will take photos and put it onto how to guide

thankyou both for your information

Jason

ps tommorow im taking the indicator switch off and try without it on as got a feeling its that and i have a spare,

:p :roll: :roll:

demonskull13 said:
[post]363556[/post] ps tommorow im taking the indicator switch off and try without it on as got a feeling its that and i have a spare,
Yeah, that's possible. What you describe is a binding or a 'resistance' on the steering and, as zinc mentioned, the steering lock is more of an on/off thing, as it has to be.

I know what you mean about 'it is definitely coming from the steering wheel'. The bind could be transmitted right up the steering column, but your hands/fingers seem to be able to pick up little things like that, just through feel.

I had the same experience with my 1.4 last year. It only happened occasionally but it was very disconcerting to feel that the steering wheel was being impeded from turning. It felt as if something was catching in the steering wheel housing. Oddly enough though as I made my mind up to strip the unit down the problem stopped and has not returned so unfortunately I cannot contribute to a diagnosis.

hi all problem solved i took stearing wheel off and surround and the black plastic bit that turns the indecators off after turning one side had a bit missing the other was fine so only self return one side dust grease ect in there cleaned all with contact cleaner put back together now no binding and before i had a scuffing noise from the stearing wheel that i tried to fix before but couldnt and now no noise attall and all good thanks everyone for helping

Jason

:p :thumbs: :eek:k:

Sorry I missed this before it was cured.

When I first bought my Puma it grated like hell when turning and when I took it off it was also full of dust. Once cleaned it turned super slickly (is that even a word :lol:), and never occured again.

iirc it is a fairly common thing on the Puma but not seen it brought up recently, err, so not that common :lol:

The original problem posted by demonskull13 and which I have also experienced is not the same as the well known grating issue when the wheel is turned but involves an impeding of the wheel when it is being turned. It feels as if the steering is going to lock up and is not a happy experience.

more information as ive found out exatly what the fault was when i removed my stearing wheel as reasemberling found a small spring and a little red button as i have spare stearing wheel was looking at it and its the part for the indicator returns i thought the fault was somewhere around there but my spare stearing wheel is missing the thin black plastic arm would it still pass the mot or is it just for convenience also as i need a new stearing wheel does any one know a good one that will suit the puma if i decided not to get a stock one? thanks in advance again

Jason

:p :roll: :roll: :eek:k:

Latest posts

Back