Puma won't start and multiple error codes

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danihxh

Hi everyone,

This morning I took my Puma and I was able to start it properly, stop in a few places and wash it. Next I came back home, parked it and, after 20 minutes or so, tried to start it again and it didn't work. It makes a fast clicking sound and the lights on the dashboard blink, but I can't hear the starter.

My guess is it's a problem with the battery, but the voltage is not too low, it's still in the 11 - 12v range, so I would expect the starter to at least turn. There's no corrosion on the battery and the connections are tight.

It's a 1.7 from 1998 with a MHA engine.

Moreover, I connected the diagnosis machine and got the following codes, which probably have nothing to do with the above, but I prefer to take care of them soon:

• C1301: ABS operation timed out.
  • P0113: Intake air temperature sensor 1 circuit high input.
  • P1000: OBDII systems readiness test not complete.
  • P1310: Ionisation misfire detection module fault.

What's the problem? What should I do to fix them?

Thanks a lot!

11 - 12v range on a resting battery is too low. Do the dash needles do a sweep when trying to start the engine? If so, it's 99% sure it's the battery.
Put a new one on, clear the codes (keep a note of them), then see if they come back. A duff battery can give all sorts of electrical "faults".

As Rick suggests, if it's reading below 12 volts then it's likely not got enough charge to start.

Get a charged starter pack on it or charge the battery up for a bit and try again. I believe at rest you should be above 12.4V and charging around 14V from memory.

red said:
[post]363649[/post] Get a charged starter pack on it or charge the battery up for a bit and try again. I believe at rest you should be above 12.4V and charging around 14V from memory.
Initial rest is 12.6V and 14.4V when running. But the residual drain (ECU, security, etc) is around 50mA, so the rest voltage will fall into the 11-12V range after a few days/a week. Lowest starting voltage is around 10.6V and the rapid clicking is the chattering SI relay not getting enough juice.

So, at face value, jump start or change battery will sort this. However....

danihxh said:
[post]363647[/post] This morning I took my Puma and I was able to start it properly, stop in a few places and wash it.
Battery that worked at least twice in a morning then appears to go completely flat a few hours later. Possible, but not over likely, is it?

If the car was washed using a jet wash then problems can arise. Changing the battery will reveal more if the car still doesn't start, so that's the next step.

Do the dash needles do a sweep when trying to start the engine?
YOG, I think they didn't do that, just the lights blinking.

Initial rest is 12.6V and 14.4V when running.
red, Frank, I have been able to start it now after letting it rest for a while and the running voltage was around ~13V, so it looks like it's the alternator.

If the car was washed using a jet wash then problems can arise.
Yes, I used a jet washer, but I just washed the outside. I have never had issues with that, just once that I got the engine pressure washed and detailed, and it was just a bit of difficulty to start it, but it disappeared after a few days.

I will check if I have a spare alternator, because I do remember I had issues with that a couple of years ago, but I don't remember if I replaced it with the other one or if I was able to fix it. Otherwise I will have to buy a new one from Ford.

I will come back once I fix that and reset the codes to see if they come back again.

danihxh said:
[post]363653[/post] and the running voltage was around ~13V, so it looks like it's the alternator.
Yep, even with fans, lights, rear screen heater, etc. she will not drop much below 14.2V. normally. Maybe take a reading straight off the alternator live - unlikely, but you could have an alternator lead to battery problem.

danihxh said:
[post]363653[/post] Yes, I used a jet washer, but I just washed the outside. I have never had issues with that, just once that I got the engine pressure washed and detailed, and it was just a bit of difficulty to start it, but it disappeared after a few days.
Yeah, it was unlikely, but worth a mention. I always like to look for events/clues immediately before the perp struck. :)

At the end the problem was coming from both battery and alternator, so I replaced both.

I will also change the spark plugs in the upcoming days, as they have done too many miles already, and then check the error code again to see if they are still there.

Latest posts

Back