Pops and bang - are you safe?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mihalyn90

Hey,

So i removed the center box :) because why not :D

so cat on it's place, rear muffler is a magnaflow and it does this:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfQYpkbjc2Q[/youtube]

is it ok? is she all-right?

You've probably got an air leak on your exhaust that's causing the pops and bangs. If it's anywhere in front of the lambda or even slightly behind the lambda you could be getting a bad mixture into the engine so get it fixed as soon as you can.
Barry

don't think so, as the car was fully checked and this is not the only puma sounding like this

of course i'll leave it as it is... anyway today it backfired at around 5500 RPM... jesus i scared myself :|

Just remember in the long run any big backfire (missfire) will damage the "cat" and /or engine liners etc

Of course if the back firing occurs under power then you have an ignition/fuel problem which needs looking at.

And yes I am old and a killjoy :grin:

mihalyn90 said:
[post]364169[/post] is it ok? is she all-right?
Pops and burbling is OK, but backfires are not a 'good thing' to have.

When I put on my Hoffmann race tube and Hoffmann back box (so, like you, the middle box went) the system was slightly louder and burbled and popped away as soon as I lifted my foot off. Maybe it's my perception, but it doesn't seem to do that very much any more - possibly the ECU has 'learned' and adjusted things around or else I've just got used to it and don't notice.

well with closed window i don't hear it... but on the outside :)) it''s kinda funny seeing kids running away :D and old tarts jumping n bushes :D

pops occurs at liftoff of the gas pedal

If one of your exhaust valves is not sealing properly, you will get pops and bangs big time. Remember a friend who had a Peugeot 205 GTI and his was popping and banging big time. When we dismantled the engine, found that exhaust valve on 3rd cylinder was not sealing all the way....

don't see any effect of this... it's a TAPE ecu :) usually they do this as i understood

Latest posts

Back