Puma 2001 1.6 Help please , thank you

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shaun247

Hi Gents and Ladies ,
Can i ask for a little help please , i have just got a little silver Puma 1.6 and i love it !!! its a 2001 bit tatty bodywork wise but its a lovely runner ! anyway to my problem .... it needed a new clutch which i had fitted yesterday , my problem arose on the way to get it fitted ..... sat in traffic ....and noticed after about 10 mins (approx) the temp gauge rising nearly all the way up , so naturel action ... heater on full and on heat to draw away the heat , also when dipping clutch revs sometimes increased to 2,000 then if i braked they seemed to return to just above 1,000 rpm , i have seen the posts about the tps sensor and have tried the said methods i.e dissconet batttery , clean with contact cleaner , clean idle control valve e.t.c , but wether its this i don't know , and as for overheating my first thought is thermostat ? is this where i should start ? any help would be greatly apprieciated .... also thanks for a great site !!!!

Shaun ....

Hey Shaun!

Simply from what you describe and in regards to over-heating.. firstly: does the radiator fan kick in on time? Should turn on when temp gauge for lamans terms goes just above halfway while idling.
That needs to be answered first..
If not your checks i would suggest to be:
coolant temp sensor
Thermostat
Fan resistor & relay
All can be checked to see if in working order by yourself quite easily.. just search and follow the guides laying around here.
Will save a few bob also.

*A clutch job in most cases will involve removing all attachments to the gearbox so have a look around a check all is plugged on proper.

As an extra, have a looksey and make sure this sensor on the clutch peddle arm is in place .. (in the hole towards top left)
This not being in place for me has caused said reving issues and more.
IMG_1699.JPG

:eek:k: good luck

Phoenix

Latest posts

Back