Thumping noise when turning the wheel

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chilipalmer

I'm getting this thumping noise when I turn the wheel to the right at very low speeds. I only hear one thump and I feel it in the steering column (doesn't appear to be happening at higher speeds or when the car is stationary) . It seems to be coming somewhere from the right wheel area. I've changed the CV boots a while ago, before I had any noises, but they were in pretty bad shape and had lost a s*itload of grease. About a week ago I changed the shocks and and the rubber mountings and the noise became more recurrent. I also took the car to the MOT and the technician didn't see anything wrong with the car...
I'm guessing the CV joints need to be changed but still I'd appreciate some input from you fellas...

TL:DR - Sounds similar to my car which was also failing CV joints.

When one/both (no idea which ones were failing) of the joints went in my Puma it showed by a varying degree of vibration - or thumping if you like - when I accelerated relatively hard, especially when turning a corner/roundabout.

I had lowered my car & previous to that there was no indication of a problem, so I guess the different drive shaft angle brought my problem to light. I wasn't 100% if it was them so I bought 2 complete used drive shafts & I was lucky that the problem disappeared.

On inspection of the old shafts they'd also had dodgy CV boots & the joints were notchy as hell compared to the used ones I refitted.

Hope that helps somewhat :thumbs:

Check your dropl inks for play, alos make sure no part of the suspension spring has snapped off.

While checking the springs I noticed something strange: the rubber mountings are not in contact with the chassis! There's a small gap between the two. What could cause that? Old rubbish springs perhaps?

Latest posts

Back