Noisy Water Pump

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coldcut

i have been told that my water pump is at fault as the car makes a racket when been revved up and driving.
I am awaiting on 2 garages to get me a price.
They weren't sure whether the cambelt would removing?
Any ideas on price?
My other issue is my leaking petrol tank.
Anyone know of a cost to fit one?
Ive just ordered one but awaiting on price to fit.
And also,is my car still safe to drive with the noisy waterpump whilst i await to get it fixed?
thanks.

To remove the water pump you need to remove the timing belt. While at it, replace it together with the tensioner.
Mind you, that means also replacing the inlet camshaft and the crankshaft bolts as well.
Water pump could let go anytime leaving you stranded by the side of a road, so I would refrain from using the car ATM.

Wild E. Coyote said:
[post]366958[/post] To remove the water pump you need to remove the timing belt. While at it, replace it together with the tensioner.
Mind you, that means also replacing the inlet camshaft and the crankshaft bolts as well.
Water pump could let go anytime leaving you stranded by the side of a road, so I would refrain from using the car ATM.
Thanks but as in this post,the cambelt dosen't need removing?
https://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?t=16797

That is a big exspense if it's not due for removal yet and dosen't need removing to remove the waterpump?

You can do it with the cam belt in place but that's not the most effective use of the labour cost to get there. If it needs water pump then the cam belt can't be far behind. You'd need to know the history and make a judgement.

thanks all for the replies.
I understand it's not the most effective use of labour but as it will be another year and half before it needs replacing again as i did have it done at 80,000 and i know what mileage i do each year and i won't have the car in another years time anyway,then my funds have also got to go on replacing the fuel tank,so that is my reason to not get the cambelt done.

Coldcut said:
[post]366968[/post] ,so that is my reason to not get the cambelt done
Unless you do the job yourself or have a good existing relationship with your garage, then you may well have trouble finding a garage to do just the water pump if Ford says different.

It's just how the world, not just garages, works. 1st, 2nd and 3rd the priority is 'cover yourself', i.e. play safe and you never can get in trouble, and taking on a job where you are following some stranger's How To on a website is not doing that.

i think you just need to accept that the cam belt needs doing at the same time, no garage is going to replace just the water pump, because when something goes wrong after you’ll be back saying it’s their fault, cars cost money and you can’t cut corners by getting just one thing you know is wrong fixed, unless you are prepared to do the work yourself you just need to suck it up and get it done! Sorry dude that’s the hard truth, on the plus note a fuel tank can be bought for £40-50 on eBay and it’s easy to fit but again it’s a priority job to fix a leaking fuel tank (as well as being a MOT failure)

Just an update,
Ive bought
New fuel tank
water pump
aux belt and tensioner
Getting them all fitted on monday.
The cambelt won't need to be changed for 1 and a half years but the car will be sold in a years time anyway.
If i decide to get the cambelt done before i sell it when its due,the garage won't charge me any difference so im happy with that.

I got my
water pump
Aux belt and tensioner changed and no more noise :grin:
I noticed that the coolant was red that they put in and iv'e always used orange.
Does it matter if i mix the 2 colours?
I don't know if it's another brand they used but iv'e always bought the ford one which is orange?

Latest posts

Back