Dip beam bulbs suddenly gone very dim

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RICHARD MANSFIELD2

Hi,
A few months back I replaced all four headlight bulbs with these

NEW HB3 Ring XENON ULTIMA Car Headlight Bulbs + 120% Brighter HB3 Pair

Two days ago the dip beam bulbs went so dim they are non existent, the main beam is unaffected. I cannot do anything until the weekend, but in the meantime I would inquire as to any other member suffering the same problem.

Regards
Richard.

Apologies if this sounds silly/obvious/unlikely etc but have they maybe just come loose?
I only ask because I replaced a bulb once, next day in thew dark it was like driving with a candle, quick inspection revealed bulb almost out of its holder and pointing up into the lens, result..no beam.

I assume these are a direct replacement for the usual ones with no modifications needed? Interesting that one of the reviews on Amazon is:
"The bulbs were a little brighter while they lasted, 1st bulb blew after 3 weeks and was followed by the 2nd a week later. Not only that but they shattered within the light unit and now I have bits of glass floating about inside. This could have happened due to the projector type headlight in my car and possibly the closeness of the lens to the bulb may have been a factor, so if you have this type of headlight suggest you think twice before purchasing."

Maybe you've just been unlucky, Richard... unless they simply don't suit the Puma's rather unique headlights.

RICHARD MANSFIELD2 said:
[post]367997[/post]
Two days ago the dip beam bulbs went so dim they are non existent, the main beam is unaffected. I cannot do anything until the weekend, but in the meantime I would inquire as to any other member suffering the same problem.

Let's see if we can break this one down a bit -

Generally, bulbs either work or they are blown, as opposed to going dim and then blowing.
Both dims suggests to me a wiring/switch fault on the dim side, as opposed to a bulb/bulb holder fault.
An earth fault is likely to affect both dim and main, although I haven't checked the wiring diagrams on this.

At a guess it's a dirty switch fault or a fault on the power side of the dim circuit wiring.

Hi,

Thanks for you replies. I have sorted it. I removed the headlights every thing was in order I then swapped the bulbs round after that they were all working correctly. There was no sign of loose wiring or ill fitting plugs.What threw me was the fact that it was two bulbs at once.

Once again thanks for your input.

Regards,
Richard

I've used these and they are the same as the Halfords uprated bulbs that are also 120% brighter. They work well but only last 2 years max. Iirrc the spec said 250 hours. I note that standard HB3 bulbs last a lot longer but the Xenons will help you see betterwhere your going at night! :thumbs:

Latest posts

Back