Head Light Adjustment - FAILED MOT

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LunarLizard

Hi All

My puma just failed its MOT (Major Defect) because my headlight adjustments do not work. Both Manual and electronic.

Do I have to buy new headlight assemblies or just the motors, or even the switch dial.

If its the assemblies, does anyone have some headlight assemblies to sell me??

Thanks

i would think if the manual adjusters have stripped their threads you should be able to simply replace those, I would imagine if they are not available new someone on here will have some kicking around.
i wouldn't worry too much about the electric adjusters because as long as you can manually line up the lights correctly you will be fine for an MOT

zinc2000 said:

Thanks for the reply, Due to new MOT restrictions the adjustment of the headlights must work. Mine doesn't therefor its failed. Its not just a case of having them aligned. So the dial that makes the lamps go up and down due to the weight load has to work and the manual adjustment for alignment must work.

Neither for mine work! :(

so I don't know what to to replace.

Thanks

As for the electric adjustment... move the height adjuster on the dash and listen to the headlights. They should make a noise as the motors are running. If not they may need replacing but check fuses first.

The manual adjuster (the white part on the top of the headlights) may just need cleaning/lubricating but as previously stated it may have stripped it's threads. As far as I can remember it is reasonably easy to check the adjuster by removing the headlight and separating it via the clips. But be warned the clips that hold the headlight together break VERY easily!

So, if this were me...

Check operation of electric adjusters by listening to headlight
Check fuses if operation fails
Check voltage at the adjusters to verify there is supply voltage
If voltage is OK replace adjusters
If no voltage check outgoing voltage at the adjusting dial in the dash
Check operation of manual adjusters while the headlight is open. If lubrication is required use a small dab of grease on the threads. Don't bother with WD40 as it's not really a lubricant.

I can't believe that the manual adjusters don't work, unless they have been damaged on previous adjustment. They have 3 different ways to adjust - Flat Bladed Screwdriver, Allen Key, or Star Slot, see pics:
[image]289[/image]
[image]291[/image]
[image]292[/image]

How I fixed my seized motors:
https://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=10186

Have just been through the new regs for the MOT, no mention of a fail for non working adjusters (of any sort) but.....if aim of dipped beam is incorrect it will fail, so once you have fitted/sorted new adjusters it will pass so long as the aim is correct.
If your MOT station is saying otherwise, take it elsewhere

Thank you to everyone!! I have spent several hours with my puma and have finally sourced the issue.
There is no fuses for it that I found.
I checked the switch, the voltage, the wiring.
Both motors are dead.

Here is the failed mode on my MOT.
Screenshot_20181013-173938_Gallery.jpg
Thank you to @yog for the how to guide for getting the motor out!

Your all amazing and so is this forum

Can I add..
your first major defect is a correct pointer but as zinc2000 already stated: 'if they are levelled before hand they will pass'
You second major defect is actually more geared towards newer BMWs and Mercs (the Germans) due to the auto self levelling system they have (lights auto adjust when going around corner and so forth).

One year I had an mot fail because of inoperative rear seat belts.
At the time I had no rear seats, no parcel shelf, no rear panel and even no boot carpet (got carpet now.. :grin: ) after firmly explaining that the rear half of the car is 'obviously' not used for passengers and so rear seat belt do not need to be checked and a mention of 'enquiring' with vosa .... my mot was retested n passed no advisories!

Latest posts

Back