Bore liner

URGENT ASSISTANCE REQUIRED!

Moderator: Moderators

cevini
Model: Other

Bore liner

Post by cevini » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:01 pm

I have taken off the head of my puma engine and discovered that a bit of the cylinder liner is gone. I have read that this is a issue that can occur with these engines. I wonder how long will it last, the car ran okay before. The engine is a year 1999.
https://imgur.com/a/TUcsBdv
0 x

CherryVimto
Guru!
Guru!

Bore liner

Post by CherryVimto » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:44 am

Hi

These engines are lined with Nikasil which can be very expensive to re-do.
I have no idea what this lining looks like if it fails but this was my first thought when I looked at your picture..... I hope I'm wrong though.... please don't take what I've just said as gospel until someone with far more knowledge & experience can advise you. :wink:

After a quick google I found this: https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/top ... 6&t=419222 which has a picture of a Puma engine with a failed lining.
0 x

XAF
Project Petrol Head!
Project Petrol Head!
Model: 1.7

Bore liner

Post by XAF » Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:46 pm

Hi Cevini, afraid that is delamination if the Nikasil. Financially, that block is scrap. You can get it bored out and steel sleeves put in, I know if an FRP that had that done a couple of years ago and gets rid of the issue where you need piston rings that suit Nikasil liners, however, it’s not cheap. Nor is getting the block machined and re nikasil’d. From memory, it was £2k before the rebuild cost and parts!

Best thing to do is to find another engine. Cheap and plentiful. Ideally hear it running and check the service history on it first.
0 x
2000 Puma Lux
2000 FRP #477

Wild E. Coyote
Guru!
Guru!
Model: 1.7

Bore liner

Post by Wild E. Coyote » Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:57 am

James, if steel liners are made properly and everything is done to the service standards, he can use the Honda set of piston rings and engine will be as good as new. I won't comment on the costs as I don't live in UK. Here, since engines are very far and between it would be a viable option, but I guess with your supply of used engines it is not cost effective solution.
0 x

cevini

Bore liner

Post by cevini » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:28 am

I think I'm going to search for another engine then, doesn't feel right to put together this one again. I don't live in UK, but I live near Sweden and there are a couple of puma engines there for sale.
0 x

Return to “HELP ME!”