Loss of acceleration and popping sound!

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ia0196

Hi there everyone!

I've recently encountered a problem with my Puma, the car whilst accelerating hesitates and makes a "popping" sound, I think it might be backfiring? When the car is stationary and in neutral, it doesn't make any pops and revs fine, only in gear under acceleration it hesitates and makes that dreadful pop sound.

Anyway, thought a common issue is a dirty MAF, so I took it out and cleaned it with some carb cleaner. Issue still persists...

Maybe it might be a bad coil pack idk.

Any form of advice is much appreciated!

Thank you.

There could be a few reasons for this I expect, I've seen reference to cleaning the Throttle Body as a potential solution.

Then maybe start looking at the plugs/coil?

red said:
There could be a few reasons for this I expect, I've seen reference to cleaning the Throttle Body as a potential solution.

Then maybe start looking at the plugs/coil?

Yeah, bought the new coil pack, will install it tomorrow and I'll give an update on the outcome.
Cheers!

UPDATE: Changing the coil pack has fixed the problem, no more backfiring issues. However, when I accelerate, between 2 and 3000 rpm. These is a buzzing sound, no loss in acceleration anymore but there's a buzzing sound in the 2-3000 rev range. I reckon it might be a bad intake airbox, because as I was cleaning the MAF sensor earlier, it seems when I tried to undo all the screws for the airbox, some of em were loose and kinda undone already. And now when I try to fit the airbox back in, not all the screws tighten up.

Any ideas guys?

Any help is much appreciated Thank You!

Does the sound happen when stationary? If so try to get someone else to push down on the air box then you will know if it is a bad seal.

If so try and get a slightly bigger screw (width) to hold the leaky box down!

Van_Dammesque said:
Does the sound happen when stationary? If so try to get someone else to push down on the air box then you will know if it is a bad seal.

If so try and get a slightly bigger screw (width) to hold the leaky box down!

No, the sound happens when the car is moving and starts at 2k, it doesn't happen always only during harsh accelerations. I've noticed that the airbox itself isn't properly placed on the rubber bushing I believe, maybe that might cause the buzzing sound? Dunno.
I've also noticed a knocking sound at the intake pipe near the throttle body. Not sure what to make of that? Any ideas?

I had buzzing at sort of the same revs coming from the scuttle panel which was a bit deformed. It resonated in that rev range only when it was coldish. Check my thread...

Wild E. Coyote said:
I had buzzing at sort of the same revs coming from the scuttle panel which was a bit deformed. It resonated in that rev range only when it was coldish. Check my thread...

Yes, I'm thinking it's a bad scuttle panel as well as the buzzing sounds like it's coming from the dash. I've also discovered that the rubber that's underneath the scuttle panel seems to have moved from it's original position. (Worn glue perhaps) gonna give it a go repositioning it.

Thanks for your suggestions! :eek:k:

Latest posts

Back