shaking

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benking

my cars developed a problem. When i accelerate above 50mph it shakes violently, shaking everyting in the car as well. The faster i go the worse it is. Lifting off cures it but starts straight away when i accelerate.
Any ideas

That's an odd one, does it feel like a buckled wheel / out of line tracking?

Have you checked your bushes? Drop links? or as Matt says, tracking and wheel balancing?

If lifting cures it, then it's probably not suspension related or it'd do it all the time?

Drive shaft / CV joint bearings. Mine shook the whole car during acceleration before I had mine changed. Only happened when you accelerated and had load on them.

Well ive never noticed before. I was drivng back from windermere tday and it started after about 50 miles with 160 to go!!!

Its really vicious makes everything shake including me. I pulled off the m6 at walsall and found a garage and the guy said only from a quick drive and inspection that its possibly the driveshaft??

The noise appears to be coming from the front drivers side wheel (not the wheel but that side of the car at the front) Wheels were checked and tracking was only done a months ago.

Rang ford £300 ish for a driveshaft!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! not a pair!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Any other ideas???

Changed the driveshafts today which seems to have solved the problem.
Was a bit of a nightmare, but got there in the end but seems to be worth the effort and expense

Only problem is now the ABS and TC lights stay on.

Any ideas as everything is on and connected properly, and they werent on before

Help as im starting to loose the plot, even considering selling!!!!! :(

£130 for driveshafts and £20 for oil. I did exhaust yesterday £90ish. Its getting to that point where im spending every month on it. But ive got the dilema do i keep investing because ive allready invested or sell but no guarantes the next one wont be the same.

Any ideas on the ABS and TC lights, going to try cleen the sensors just find it wierd that its only happened since the driveshafts were replaced

you may have dislodged or knocked abs sensor possibly.....

Probably just needs a clean. Did you hit / move the connection up near the top of the inner wheel arch? Tried disconnecting the battery for a bit?

Glad the driveshafts did the trick :eek:k:

I got to that point ages ago when things started to go wrong with my banger. I fixed them and then thought of selling. Never quite managed to though. I've now got a car where all the major bits like suspension, exhaust etc should last quite a while now that uprated / longer lasting ones are fitted. It'd be daft to sell it now, however much it infuriates me sometimes.

Well i know nothing is wrong so i may leave it till tommorow as im really fuced off with car right now, will definatly try battery tonight though. Cheers guys, just frustrated as im spending money i aint got :eek:k:

benking said:
£130 for driveshafts and £20 for oil. I did exhaust yesterday £90ish. Its getting to that point where im spending every month on it. But ive got the dilema do i keep investing because ive allready invested or sell but no guarantes the next one wont be the same.

Any ideas on the ABS and TC lights, going to try cleen the sensors just find it wierd that its only happened since the driveshafts were replaced

ah thoughts u'd gone for the £300 each option.

It's always frustrating when you've got to spend money you've not got. :(

As your ABS lights weren't on before you changed the driveshaft over, it's entirely possible that you've either knocked the connectors somewhere along the line, or they've just got a bit of dirt in them.

Try the battery first, if that doesn't sort out the problem, they might just need a clean. If not, worst case scenario, they're not terribly expensive to change. Mine was about £55 (plus the labour of course.)

chris3boro said:
benking said:

ah thoughts u'd gone for the £300 each option.

No chance, id rather get the bus (and because i could never afford £600 for both, if i could i would of bought that whole car on ebay for £595 and save a fiver and get a bit more for my money) lol

Disconnected the battery tonight left it off for the lenght of time it takes to have a fag lol, no difference so i will try clean them at work tommorow, cheers again guys

The guy on the end of my terrace has a 2.2 prelude for sale :wub:

Been out tonight and it has definately cured it, gave it a little caining and was fine lol

One to look out for fellow puma owners

When i put the new and old together there was no obvious visual difference, it could of possibly been the old ones had worn slightly and allowed some movement, all i now is its fixed and we got it done in time before it started to properly snow :eek:k:

Maybe dal could give the answer as he had the same problem, i assume you had yours done at a garage maybe they told him?

The bearings (roller) can wear on the spider causing it to graunch. Also the housings (Inboard CV joint) can develop scores in them making the bearings (roller) rattle about.

42282036.gif

The worst bit was when the passenger side got stuc in the gear box, but luckily we got the other side off easy and managed to delicately push it out throught the otherside of the gear box

Not a job for a novice so im extremely gratefull to my mate for his help :eek:k:

Latest posts

Back