engine temperature high

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mihalyn90

So let me explain...
when sitting, a/c on, everytime my ac pump kicks in the engine has a moment where the RPM drops, sometimes stall...

now, the temperature got high with the AC, so i stopped the ac... my fan stopped too...
if i turn AC on, fan turns on, but not for long... and when it wants to turn to high speed, the rpm drops and the engine kinda wants to stall...

no idea what to check so...
where is the temp sensor? if i understand if i put the key to position 2 and i remove the plug, the fan should kick in, even if the car is not running?

where is the fan low speed relay
where is the fan high speed relay
how to check what is faulty?

I'd guess fan relays are one unit. I'd also bet they are in engine bay fuse box.

A.C. should operate fan by default even if engine is cold, to draw air through condenser.

It sounds like the stall isn't being caused by the A.C. - I would guess air leak. Also the overheat: could be dodgy temp sensor in cyl head, could be stuck thermostat (although they usually fail open). Most likely sludged up radiator. You could try reverse flushing it with a hosepipe.

All guesswork but my two pence worth. Keep us posted if you discover anything.

the puma has two relays, k45 and k46 as i see :)
air leak? dont know
thermostat kinda new, max 1 year top

ok the relays are fine, fuses are fine... when in low temp the fan is spinning needle on the center... ac on, high speed kicks in... little knocking noise... when high speed wants to knock in, it fails, draws so much current it almost stalls the engine... so i am looking for a new fan... lovely :) thanks

Nice one... should be a cheap fix, no? Assuming you're going for 2nd hand parts

When the fan starts on high speed there is a sudden demand on the electrical system which makes the engine revs drop. At this point the ECU should compensate by adjusting the timing/fueling to bring the revs back up to normal.

I would probably get the battery and alternator checked/load tested as a precaution.

As for the high coolant temps.... really if the fan is on high speed the coolant should get cooler (as long as it is hot enough for the thermostat to be open).

Once the engine is hot, turn it off and check all of the coolant hoses and across the radiator to see if everything is hot. If there are any areas that are only warm you may have a blockage/restriction.

the drop is ok to be there, but not to stall the engine. also when the fan is running a clicking noise can be heard from inside... so for me it's the fan dying... a/c works, engine temp is ok at higher speed... this happens in the city and only when the fan wants to start or when it wants to kick in in high speed... so i am 100% sure it's the bearing

back to square one :)

on the way to work, my temperature went all over the red, and almost flipped around :)))
i stopped, oppened the bonnet and nothing... no leak, no problem anyway...
let the engine cool for around 3 hours, put the ignition to second step... needle still up and won't budge...

found this sucker:
IMG_20200806_104330.jpg

now i can not even remove the cable!!! I just want to remove it to see if the needle does budge there or not... should it fall back if there is no contact? or should stay up? anyway ordered another new part from Topran... so we will see but until then...

how do you remove the cable from it?

Latest posts

Back