MOT fail questions

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chilipalmer

1- As I was having my little geriatric Puma inspected the low beam on the left side blew out (or so I thought). When I got back home I replaced the bulb still it wouldn't come on. Then I noticed the coating on the wires is totally rotten. I broke out a multimeter which attested the socket wasn't getting any power, but I couldn't figure out where the problem was. Has anyone ever had this problem or a suggestion on how to go about fixing it?

2- Another fail was due to the Airbag light not showing on the clock instrument panel when the car is started. This has been an issue ever since I got the car but I seem to remember reading somewhere on this forum that some Pumas don't display the Airbag light when the key is turned. Is this correct?

Appreciate any help you can dispense.

1- Test the resistance between say the fuse and the end of the socket to see if it is open circuit.

2- This show that it does have one:
687474703a2f2f692e696d6775722e636f6d2f504b7068522e6a7067

Thanks for the reply. I don't get the airbag light nor the engine check light...Car has very likely been tinkered with. I'll try to find a shop which has a diagnostic machine and see if it coughs up some codes.

These might help/cheaper:
Self Diagostics: https://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=60
or a cheap OBDII scanner plus laptop and software from eBay.

The other thing to check is that the bulb's are in!

I took the clock panel apart. The bulbs are there. I also bought a cheapo diag tool but sadly it does not check for airbag problems.

chilipalmer said:
don't get the airbag light nor the engine check light...Car has very likely been tinkered with. I'll try to find a shop which has a diagnostic machine and see if it coughs up some codes.
I've seen a few that people have siliconed between the clock front and the bulb... Doesn't show any light at all, also saw one EML that had been wired to the battery light so it still came on with ignition but didn't show when running... As a MOT tester and technician myself we find all sorts of bodge jobs!

Latest posts

Back