Crankshaft stopper

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajj

My Puma 1.7 92km has faulty timing belt. Valves have also took contact with pistons. I have to change valves and timing belt etc. But how I can lock crankshaf when I will install new timing belt? Is there some hole where I can put stick or what? I have Gates special tools and there are sticks, but I don`t know where I put it.

On the back side of engine block there is M10 bolt, just next to the driveshaft bracket. Unscrew that and insert the locking pin. Be advised, it is only for positioning the crank, not to hold it against when undoing the pulley on the front. For locking the crankshaft there is a special tool that grabs the flywheel.
Or, alternatively, you have to use the special pulley wrench to hold it (and crankshaft) in place while undoing the pulley bolt.

Wild E. Coyote said:
For locking the crankshaft there is a special tool that grabs the flywheel.
Or, alternatively, you have to use the special pulley wrench to hold it (and crankshaft) in place while undoing the pulley bolt.

I have recently replaced my timing belt and can advise that there is no need to buy any special tools to lock up the flywheel.
I will now let you into a trade secret. This is exclusive info & is not available on Youtube or on any car forums.
It can be used for all zetec engines fitted to the Puma.
All you need is a 6mm standard length 90 degree Allen key :-D . Provided that the gearbox is still attached place it into the tooth on the flywheel in either of the following positions :

1) at the rear of the engine just above the driveshaft where you will see the flywheel partially exposed use a very bright torch to see it . (Wipe the area of all oil to see this (newspaper works well), as otherwise you will not see the flywheel teeth exposed here.

2) At 6 oclock (at the bottom) on the gearbox housing there is a smaller gap. Now using your smallest finger, insert in there and you will be able to feel the flywheel teeth.
Now you have confirmed you are in the correct place carefully rotate your 6mm Allen key into the hole , by turning it through approx 90 degrees so that it locates into the tooth.

In either location depending on whether you are undoing or re tightening the crank bolt will determine which end of the opening you place the Allen key to jam it against the gear box housing.

The flywheel will be locked enabling you to use a long power bar to undo the crank bolt.

I used the aftermarket telescopic wheel nut remover with 90 degree tool fully extended .

The type that is carried in the trunk to change a wheel that comes with a 17/19mm socket. Obviously swap out that socket for the size you need iirc it was a 19mm or 18mm depending on what's currently there.
Looks like:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TELESCOP...732433?hash=item21336d7611:g:DjIAAOxydB1SliRK

You will have to be strong to undo it though as it is very tight!
:thumbs:

Latest posts

Back