Quick Hi from Croatia

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wild E. Coyote

Puma Supporter
Just dropping to say quick hi. As you can see, English is not my natural tongue so I appologise in advance for all the spelling and all the others errors I am going to make! :oops:
I have driven few 1.7 Puma's and I remember what a wonderful cars that were! Now I am on verge of buying one. Market in my country is rather limited for this car and I have a possibility to get a rather nice 1.6 model. The owner says he has also a 1.7 with which there is something wrong, but is willing to throw it in. Is engine change problematic process?

Thanks in advance,

Welcome. Your English is far better than my Croat / Croation :)

I will leave others with more engineering ability to comment on the engine change - I just wanted to say 'Hi'

Welcome along :eek:k:

Changing a 1.6 to a 1.7 engine is a long difficult process as the wiring and ECU (the car's brain) is different.

The 1.6 Puma is a good car :thumbs:

Just to let you know, he advised me against doing an engine swap :-(

Ok, I assume with the gearbox things are more straight forward? What I am getting at: I am currently driving focus Mk 1.5 with 1.6 zetec SE engine and it is ok, but nothing to get excited about...
And I remember that puma 1.7 was much faster car...

With close ratio gearbox, it (1.6) would get livelier, wouldn't it?

Hello! Mr. Coyote, love your films :-D . Welcome Jewelai.
Whats keeping the 1.7 from being roadworthy? Say from using the 1.6 as a donor.

Going to see a 1.7 ('98.). It has analog dials and it says about 4000 kms. The car's been at present owner for 5 years and he doesn't know if the car has covered 104 or 204 tkms! Now, the car is on original clutch and brakes! I would assume it has covered 104 tkms because of that, but just in case it is 204 I have to ask you guys that know better.
Well, do you think it is actually possible to do 200.000 kms plus on original clutch and brakes?! :roll:
How do you overhaul the 1.7 engine because of nikasil coating? Obviusly that rules out any mashining of engine block, doesn'it? Is recoating possible? Or, for that matter, even needed? The engine apparently uses around 1 liter oil per 10000 kms so it is not in the best of health I would say?
So, for overhaul you get a set of pistons and rings etc. as on any other engine or there is something specific?

Thanks in advance,

Latest posts

Back