Hello my Puma compadres!

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A-dust

I've just bought a Puma 1.7 yesterday..Although I'm ecstatic, I didn't have the best start with her. She drove perfectly on the motorway and then as I got to London just cut out. The abs sign popped up and all electrics just shut down.. When I tried to start I'd just here a clicking sound but eventually I ended up being towed home :(
I'm hoping it's just the battery as all else seemed well on my Dad's inspection of her. The cambelt and alternator had recently been replaced and the MOT has just been done. One question to ask..If the battery is replaced, will I lose use of the CD Player? I haven't got the code as it's been removed from the manual and the previous owner had no need for it so never thought to chase it up..amy help greatly appreciated.
It's great to be a part of the Puma Appreciation Society!! x

Hi there - welcome along :)

If she was driving perfectly down the motorway and then conked out - it's just as likely to be your alternator as much as your battery. If the alternator isn't charging your battery up as it drives, then the battery alone won't last long.

If you loose the cd player code, there are ways to get it back. Send me a PM on here and I'll tell you what to do (don't want how to do it plastered across the internet for the unsavoury types)

Hope you get it sorted asap so you can grin once more driving it!

Welcome. Dal covered all the basics there, what year is your puma then? What colour too?

and Dal, pay attention, he/she (?) just said the alternator was recently replaced! gosh!

:)

Maybe the alternator hasn't been correctly fitted?
I'd want to make sure that the connections are all tight from battery to alternator and that the battery is taking the charge from the alternator and that the alternator is working correctly.

:eek:k:

Hi and welcome to the site :)

Sorry to hear about your first time experience.

As above it does sound likely that the battery or alternator is at fault.

Did you buy it from a garage?

Hello and welcome. Hope you get things sorted out really soon and will enjoy driving as much as we all do. Watching out for a new big grin on the road!

Hey Guys
Thanks so much for the response.. I bought her off eBay. Big risk but from a really genuine guy would just couldn't keep her as she wasn't child friendly. She's a T reg in Black..I'll look into all your suggestions and touch wood have her up and running soon!
To Be Continued..

Keep us updated, always interested to know how things get on!

If you lose your radio code just PM Dal or myself and we will assist.

eBay can be a risk but then buying a second hand car in general is risk as people will obviously do what it takes to sell the car.

I bought the Big Kat off e-bay.

It is taking a chance, but as it cost me about £3,000 less than it would from a dealer I figure that I can fix most things that might be wrong and still come out ahead.

But in the last four months I've only had to do improvements rather than repairs.

Black Puma? Best colour for a 1.7; proven to be twelve seconds faster 0-60 and have a much higher top speed.

Welcome

Something I most certainly intend to put it to the test!
Does anyone know why they were only made up to 2002? The demand for them seems so high..or maybe it's because of this why they're now so in demand!
I'm hoping to get a personalised number plate..does anyone know of any good websites per chance?

Hello and welcome. Hope you enjoy your Puma once she's back on the road again.

Ford actually stopped making the Puma in July 2001, a few were left over and registered as 02 or even 52 plates. Part of it was because the engine was developed by Yamaha and only contracted for a specific quantity. At the end of the Pumas's production, Ford were having to use the 1.6 as there weren't enough 1.7s around. This is why you can on very rare occasions find genuine Thunder editions with a 1.6 engine.

A google search usually throws up loads of reg plates sites. be careful of the non DVLA ones some are just re sellers and if the plate is on the DVLA site they just buy it and pass it on to you with there bit added on some hide little extras from the displayed price as well so you can end up paying quite a bit more than the price that appears next to it.
The production run was always going to be limited, Ford never tooled to produce the Puma for long, also from what others have said the deal with Yamaha for the 1.7 engines was limited as well so they basically made enough body work to fit the engines they had and then a few spares and that was it, re-tool the line to make something else.

Oh yeah, and the Cologne plant where the Puma was built had to be reconfigured to produce the new generation Fiesta & Fusion. ;)

If your genuily interested in the Puma story then the puma book 'the inside story' has got pages and pages on its development, you can find them on ebay for under a tenner and its a top read in a swanky little book :eek:k:

The puma has yet to be replaced with anything remotely as good so demand is high, as its so dam good. When i first got mine i had the usual hairdressers car remarks, but i challeneged people in work to read a few online reviews about it and they soon shut up.

DradusContact said:
If your genuinely interested in the Puma story then the puma book 'the inside story' has got pages and pages on its development, you can find them on ebay for under a tenner and its a top read in a swanky little book
We've got one of those. I'm planning on writing up a shortened version for our FAQ section soon, as although it's fairly cheap on eBay (Dal got his for free from an ex-FRP driver at his work) not everyone wants to pay that for a book.

Like this?

Insidestory.jpg

http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?t=1294" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Latest posts

Back