New puma owner =D

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adge92

Hi all, I bought my first puma in November just gone, Green 1.7 16v model, love driving it but I am having a few issues ...

I noticed she was leaking oil new years day, had a look under the bonnet and it was the rocker cover gasket. I replaced it using the guide in the "How to" section. Not leaking oil anymore which is obviously a good sign :grin:

However, having not taken her out for a good few weeks due to the snow (I'm a university student and I commute home via train at weekends) I drove her around this weekend and when I apply the brakes there's a grinding noise. The previous owner told me when i bought the car she had replaced the brake discs and pads in September, and there is a receipt for the parts. I looked at the brakes and there's a lot of rust on the front discs on both sides. What could be the issue here? Is it as simple as buying new discs and pads and replacing them, and is it just going to happen again when I leave the car to sit for a few weeks?

Thanks

It could just be the rust built up on the discs hasn't been removed enough through lack of use or the calipers might have seized again through lack of use, the Puma can be a temperamental cat when it's not being used regularly

If you leave a car for even a few days in winter the discs will get surface rust. Can usually be cleared with a little heavy braking.

I can vouch for the above.

I had the grinding noise after the snow a week or so ago every time I applied the brake - I too recently had new ones.

Anyway I covered around 4-500 miles this weekend driving from Leicester to Southampton and back and the noise has long gone, in fact, the entire car has been a dream. I advise going out and having some fun in it that requires some sharp braking, it should sort you out :)

BenF said:
4-500 miles - did you take the scenic route?! :s
I went Melton Mowbray > Southampton > Drove round that area for a day > Reading > Sutton > Cambridge > Melton Mowbray.

I only know the miles cos I brimmed the tank in s/hampton, and reset the mile clock when it was full to test the range. So far I'm on 1/8th full and about 250 miles. The journey down was 150 and I drove a bit down there so I've added it all together

I'll update when I'm 40 miles into the red :p

Latest posts

Back