Typical Newbie questions and answers

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dal

Administrator
Staff member
Ones I can think of for now. Please add any that you can think of.

0. How do I post pictures into my threads?

Please read FAQ::How do I get photos into a post? for one method of achieving this.

1. What's that strange noise coming from the engine as I pull away at about 12mph?

That'll be your brake servo / solenoid doing it's self test for ABS operation. Quite normal.

2. My lights sometimes have condensation in them. Is that normal?

Yes, afraid so. If you've even a hairline crack, then you'll get it. If you haven't, you still might!. Normally comes and goes of it's own accord.

3. My heating is stuck on hot or cold and doesn't change at all.

That'll be your Heater Control Valve (HCV) It controls the coolant into your heater matrix from the engine. It either breaks in the hot or cold position. It's situated behind the bulkhead at the centre back of the engine bay and is a fairly straight forward DIY swap, or a fairly fast garage job that shouldn't cost too much.

4. What are those little rectangular holes for behind the inside of the rear quarter windows?

Put your rear seat belt tang in them when lowering the rear seat upright. That way they'll not get tangled up when you push the upright back again.

5. My rear windscreen wiper / rear screen demister doesn't or intermittently works. How do I fix it?

That'll more than likely be the 4 copper contacts between your tailgate and the body. (just to the right as you open the boot) If they get dirty then they won't conduct the current / voltage required to work them. Clean them up with white spirit or similar. Brasso does a good job too. Use a little vasaline on them for protection.

6. My lights are really dim. Is that normal?

Another one of the "design features" of our little cars. The lights are not the best, but make sure they are clean to get the best from them! Meg's Plastix is great to bring them up a treat. Some better bulbs could help also, such as Halfords Extra bright ones (or similar) be wary of xenon / HID though, as the extra heat could discolour / melt the plastic lenses and may be illegal. See -->Here<--

7. I've heard the cambelt is important to change. What's the intervals as I've heard different ones?

1.7 Every 5 years or 80,000 miles, whatever comes first.
1.6 Every 10 years or 100,000 miles, whatever comes first.
1.4 Every 10 years or 100,000 miles, whatever comes first.

Q: I put my foot down but the engine just revs and the car doesn't go anywhere!

That'd be the clutch. Actually, if you are taking a puma for a test drive it's good to test the clutch as sometimes a dodgy clutch isn't easy to spot. Find a hill and approach it around 55mph in 5th gear, as you begin to climb the hill drop it into 4th gear and floor the gas pedal. If there is even a hint of the revs rising without the car pulling forwards then the clutch is on it's way out. Be especially wary of Puma's that have around 50-60k on the clock.

If it rains and I open the boot......

.....consider yourself on the receiving end of a good l'il lesson. Oh, and please remember that the parcel shelf is shite, twisting those little strings up does the business for approx 18 seconds (on average), but if you were really wanting it to put a box of tissues on, well, you shoud've bought a Meriva!

I've got a question that isn't listed!

Don't worry, this isn't meant to be an exhaustive list. There are two ways to get an answer to whatever question you have. The first is to make use of the search function at the top of the forum. If you can't find what you're looking for, the other way is to post a thread in the most appropriate section of the forum.

It may seem like an easy solution to PM Dal with your question, after all, he has a crazy number of posts, and he's an administrator, so he must have all the answers, right? Wrong. He's enthusiastic (most of the time), and helpful, but he's also only human, and not a walking encyclopaedia. He will answer PMs as best he can, but why ask for the help or opinion of just one person when you can ask everyone? ;)

Q What are the specifications of the various models?

A Have a look here>>> http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=62" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Q what are the production changes/options available throughout Production?

A Have a look here>>> http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=67" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Q is there a buyers guide?

A Have a look here>>> http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2320" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hi, just bought a Puma Black and after a week and 100 miles noticed a pinkish leak from the left hand side of the engine. Any ideas ?

hey mods is there a reason I cannot see pix that people post? I get the following message.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
thanks

Latest posts

Back