More than it says on the box.

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaulQ

Hello everyone.

I ended up with a Puma as I had sold my main car because it was bigger than I required and it was a diesel but only doing shortish runs but had no idea what car I wanted to replace it with. Every make and model I looked at had some horrible disadvantage - I still have no idea what I want.

Years ago, in a similar position, I bought an old Vauxhall Cavalier for a few hundred - the thing was bulletproof and I held on to it for ages before persuading myself that I needed something more up-to-date :roll: . So I applied the same logic and looked round for an "interesting stand-in" car.

I had narrowed it down to a 2002 Toyota Celica or a Mazda MX-5 of a similar age and then I saw the Puma on Youtube ( Nürburgring, Topgear, etc.) and then I saw how cheap they were. I went off to see a few and decided that the only criteria worth applying were "Does it have tax and an MOT? If so, how long?"

So I ended up with "Tudge" (from the numberplate: TUJ) a moondust, 1.7, 2000: 12 month MOT, 6 months tax, 4 new tyres, recent clutch and cambelt change. Yes, it has the designer bubbly wheel arches, some ar*e had keyed it on the Front N/S, there's a bonking coming from somewhere (I suspected the spare was bouncing around, but this is not the case) the c/locking didn't work and neither did the advertised a/c but it had a year's MOT and 6 month's tax and was very cheap. But, hey, this was a temporary car.

You know how, if you're a cattle farmer, the last thing you should do is give the animals names? On the drive back from the West Midlands to St Albans (100 miles) every burst of acceleration, the torque, the smooth ride, every bend, every gear change just filled me with happiness - a car with no red line on the rev counter! I bonded with the car. In my life, I've driven about a million miles and I have never been so impressed. "Tudge" became a pet.

From "run it until it drops and scrap it", I refilled the a/c -> it works; had the wheels balanced and tracked -> much better, fixed the c/locking by reprogramming, booked it in for a couple of hundred pounds of welding and anti-rusting to cover the MOT advisories, Fixed the oil leak (rocker cover), stuck on new wheel caps and a new rear fog light and followed all the links to the Pumaschmied wheel arch replacements -> I'm very tempted.

So, after the welding, I'll have an idea if Tudge is likely to live longer than the MOT: if he is, I will start to empty my bank account in a futile gesture to recapture my youth.

They are wonderful cars, aren't they? :grin:

Liked your post! Feel much the same way on mine; Pumas are more than just a car. I recently got my 2nd one after a gap of 10 years and it gives me a huge smile whenever I drive it. I'm gonna spend what it takes in the years to come to get/keep mine sorted; it doesn't matter to me if that exceeds the book value. Enjoy!

Welcome fellow Tudge owner :lol:

IMG_1588_Medium.jpg

Welcome,

I looked at MR2s, Celicas and MX5s before getting a Puma. I've learnt loads about cars, which was half the plan. For instance I was able to swap pads and discs on the wife's car which scored many brownie points!! I've also got a sweet handling little project car which I'm slowly starting to obsess about. Funny how it happens.

Thanks everyone.
quest63 said:
Welcome aboard :thumbs:

and the clunking was?
I suspect it is a family of goblins hitting the exhaust with pig-skin mallets. :eek:k:

Early this morning, I delivered the car to the local garage to have some welding done to (i) the O/S sill, and (ii) to the area to the front of the rear wheels, both of these were advisories on the MOT.

The welding guy was there to greet me and seemed keen to get on. As a bonus to the garage, I threw in the rocker cover gasket, as it is a quick job and there’s the Ford Rally Oil Leak.

I went down to the garage around five pm to pick it up. I was met by:
Him: “Sorry mate, I’m just closing up, come back in the morning.”
Me: “Is it done?”
Him: “It will be in the morning.”

The welding couldn’t have taken long, so changing the gasket must be an “engine out job”– I’m surprised by that.

Hmmm… so the answer is, I don’t know yet. I haven’t had it off the ground to look at it except once when it was being tracked and I saw nothing obviously awful.

I’ll probably find out in the morning. The MOT on the thing is only a month old, and there’s no advisories about bushes. Mind you, the seller did say that the MOT was done by email. :grin:

Fanwheel said:
I'm gonna spend what it takes in the years to come to get/keep mine sorted; it doesn't matter to me if that exceeds the book value. Enjoy!
I went to the Doctor’s: apparently there is NHS treatment for this, but I refused and escaped from the men in white coats and hiding in the local Ford Parts department.

Ian G said:
Welcome fellow Tudge owner :lol:

IMG_1588_Medium.jpg

Amazing! My car’s uncle Tudge! My Tudge speaks highly of him
Welcome,

I looked at MR2s, Celicas and MX5s before getting a Puma. I've learnt loads about cars, which was half the plan.
Experience is what you needed just before you did it… but that’s how I got my experience too, but that was 45 years ago when a computer involved a bit of wire with some beads on it and a hammer (not a metric one) sorted most problems.
For instance I was able to swap pads and discs on the wife's car which scored many brownie points!!
Almost perfect – perfection arises when you have taught your wife to strip a gearbox whilst you supervise from a sun-lounger.
I've also got a sweet handling little project car which I'm slowly starting to obsess about. Funny how it happens.
True, that. Years back, I bought a Vauxhall Cavalier for next to nothing and, although it was perfectly reliable, I never quite bonded with it. I had a Lotus Europa that I worked on day and night but that wasn’t a restoration, it was because you can’t name a part on it that didn’t go wrong, so I eventually saw it as a chore. Back then I also had a Mini. I had not put anti-freeze in it and one cold morning, I came out to find a core-plug on the end of an icicle. It started first time, I ran it for 5 minutes and left it for an hour. I cam back, banged the core-plug back in and topped it up (this time with anti-freeze) and drove off – you can’t fail to bond with something like that. And so it is with the Puma.

What is it that you are restoring?

The puma is the project car. It's dual function is to teach me how to swear at bolts and learn to drive a sporty car.

My wife can rebuild gear boxes. She also used to run a pub!

Great post and know exactly what you mean about getting sucked in and investing money into a car you first thought would be cheap stop gap.

I recently brought a Mk1 MX5 as a fun car and then found driving my sensible Vectra boring. Vectra sold and replaced by a 2000 1.7 lux in Moondust. Second time owning a Puma, first one was new in 2002...

Awesome little cars and so cheap...

quest63 said:

and the clunking was?
At last I have discovered the cause. It is somewhat technical, and I'm not sure that everyone will fully grasp the mechanics and engineering problems but, potentially, this is something that can happen suddenly to any Puma or even FRP:
>
>
>
>
the back seat was not locked in place... :oops:

PaulQ said:
quest63 said:

and the clunking was?
At last I have discovered the cause. It is somewhat technical, and I'm not sure that everyone will fully grasp the mechanics and engineering problems but, potentially, this is something that can happen suddenly to any Puma or even FRP:
>
>
>
>
the back seat was not locked in place... :oops:

Big job :grin:

Latest posts

Back