Long time puma owner, but new here

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James West Wales

Hi everybody,
some members may recognise me from other puma/ford forums, but as most wont then id like to introduce myself; im james and i live in sunny pembrokeshire wales :lol:

i have owned a 1.7 pacific green W reg puma since it as 3 years old, sadly shes been laid up in my yard since 2006 when i bought a mk1 focus rs, i have always wanted her back on the road but never realy had the time with modifing the rs, at the end of august i finally decided to sell up and sold on the focus with thoughts of getting something new..... however i came to my senses and have decided to renew my marrige vows to my puma haha.

my puma has a few choice mods, very standard looking body with air intake in lower grille and single wiper conversion, full stainless exhaust and blue pipercross kevlar hoses. she sits on wolfrace 17s, has a full frp interior and huge pheonix gold install.
i still have a few bits that i was going to fit but never did 40mm lowering springs, carbon badges, strut brace, interior bits and bobs and..... a nitrous kit :lol:

dont know if anyone has had a puma left for a while, and could know some problems i may face (have just found a leaky power steering pipe) :-(

thanks for taking time out to read this, james.

Welcome back, handbrake could be seized if it was left on, the radio code will be lost if the battery went flat (assuming it wasn't left on trickle), tyres might be misshapen if it hasn't moved at all, clutch might stick, might be mouldy inside.

Have you been starting it? I think I read something about manually cranking the engine.

On top of that you probably want to get a full service, a cambelt change since it should be changed every 5 years or 80k which ever comes first. Whilst you're having that done you might as well get a new aux belt and water pump. Not worth having to do the job twice.

Finally the other thing I can think of is suspension bushes and top mounts may have perished over time since they are rubber.

Let us know how you get on!

Red said:
I think I read something about manually cranking the engine.

I've read about turning the engine over with the coil pack disconnected to get the oil circulating first before actually firing it up.

Welcome James!

thaks for the replys guys,

and thanks for the advice too, car was started every couple of months untill around 8 months ago, hand brake is ok as its been left off most of the time so thats ok :) i sort of prepaired the car a little for coming off the road before had a oil change with fully synthetic all new belts fresh anti freeze.

bushes were a concern for me aswell as petrol pipes as iv seen them perish on cars in the past, light surface rust is guna be a bugger too i guessing especially on brake pipes and disks.

interior is very tidy still, i kept those little 99p dehumidifiers in the car to keep it good chaninging them fairly often :wink:

as i rough plan im hoping to have her on the road by the new year, the only real major job is the gearbox needs replacing as the pressure plate shatterd and cracked the bellhousing, have had a nice recon frp box waiting to go in since she ent off the road :grin: have been offered good money for it many times but always kept it for my puma so i guess my hearts always been there to put her right lol

Hi James,

Just thought I'd say hi as a fellow Pembrokeshire lad! I live in Cardiff now but visit home around once a month. Let me know when you get yours on the road and oh, we love pics here :)

Latest posts

Back