New owner..2001 model with 34k!

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andrewjeffs

Hi guys,just bought a 1.7 2001 model puma with 34k on the clock.
Was used as a commuter to luton airport,covering less than 5 miles a day during the week.

The car is in excellent condition,with just a couple of bubbles on the rolled arch.

Biggest problem is,lack of use..the tyres are all cracked as they have been on the car for many years..the brakes pads have gone off,again due to them being on the car for years,as well as the cambelt stupidly not being changed in years,because he didnt realise(yeah right)..that its not just mileage that kills a cambelt.

I also have my suspicions about the clutch,as its biting very high on the pedal.

Inside though it really is like new,no wear on the seats,pedals or interior.

I always wanted a puma from when it was released..my friends think its hilarious as i have a R26 with 270hp...they dont realise its one of the finest handling front drivers of all time...very similar to my dc2 integra type R.

Going to get better tyres,belt and brakes done..then see what it can do on the twistys..

Welcome along to the forum. That must be one of the lowest mileages around. You will find the puma fantastic on the twisty bits and is very good on the limit. R26 is a good car, I am a Rs owner also but just the little twingo cup although it's not got 133bhp ;-)

Yeh it's good fun. You will find out that the brakes on the puma are not as good as your used too. But it's an easy and cheap upgrade

Hi and welcome. I have a Puma with similar mileage to yours, apart from consumables and cam belt, the only non original part required has been a new clutch.

mrbushrat said:
Yeh it's good fun. You will find out that the brakes on the puma are not as good as your used too. But it's an easy and cheap upgrade
yes brakes are rubbish at the moment..i was hoping it was due to old pads..i have just ordered a new set of disks and mintex pads to see if that improves things

Welcome aboard! Sounds like you have a few quid to spend before you start throwing it about tho :-( Mines lowered but I want to go back to standard, waay too bumpy for my old bones ;)

That must be one of the lowest mileages around
Sorry Mrbushrat, our lasses dad wins at 26k ;)

Rob.

Hi Fellow newbie. I put new Mintex pads and disks on mine just after I bought it, also replaced the brake / clutch fluid with new dot4 and bled the system, made a big difference, It's well worth dressing the rough edges off the back plates on the pads before fitting and assemble with a SMALL amount of copaslip. As for the twisty bits, I haven't had so much fun fully clothed in years :wink: You're in for a treat.

Welcome aboard! I have a 1999 model with 41,000 on the clock. So you've just stolen my crown as having one of the lowest mileage examples ;p

Welcome! You've beaten my mileage too at 46,000. Mine had similar issues too from lack of use (previously owned by someone in London who rarely drove it) but it has little in the way of rust (yet) - maybe exposed to less salt over her lifetime? I think the best medicine is drive it regularly. Mines a 2nd car and lives in the garage but I try to take her out at least once a week.

Had the cambelt done in the week..a bloody shame the garage had to drill out several of the studs holding on the engine cover..ruining my faultless engine bay..but it had to be done to get the cover off.

did my disks and pads as well and was utterly amazed how easy it all came apart after all these years...the pads and disks were the originals!..the disks were so brittle bits come off them when i tapped them with the hammer to remove them and the pads were as hard as iron..much better now with the ridiculously cheap mintex disk/pad set(less than £40!).The brake pads in my R26 alone cost over £200!.

I have to say,i enjoyed the simplicity of these older cars...2 bolts removed either side for pads/disks...all done in 1 hour!
cheap,easy motoring..Now just got to fit my new uniroyal rainsport 3`s...the rainsport 2 is a great compromise tyre for all weathers,so hopefully the 3 is even better and again dirt cheap...i can buy all 4 for the cost of 1 18" premium tyre on my R26.

hi i had problems with my engine cover to but its a quick fix get a set of easy outs of ebay for about £5 drill the allen key bolt slightly then get a easy out on a drill with reverse then as it threads it self in its also pulling the nut out do this on the ones you need to replace thinking of the allen key nut of the v-brackes of a mountain bike dont quote about the v-brackes yet as i havent tried it but will keep you informed. i forgot to say did he need to drill all the heads off to remove the cover if so go back with easy outs to still undo them from the rocker cover hopefully this will help and your engine bay will look better, i sprayed my engine cover purple in heat resistant spray and it looks mint. could you please tell me how to get photos on hear off the computer thankyou :p :thumbs: :pose2: :eek:k:

rockingal said:
Think i just beat mileage 99 t reg 6958 genuine miles.
Unless that is backed up by the old MOT history, I'd say that is more like 106,958, as the analogue dials only went up to 99,999.

Definitely genuine it was my dad's car he never drove it. Just serviced and polished it. I have all original paperwork and mots etc. I'm intending to out some miles on it though. Hated driving till I drove this, the acceleration always makes me smile :)

Not sure about all this drilling the engine cover bolts out? I just took a dremel, cut two slots in the heads and used an impact driver with a flat bit in it. Easy as peas!!

Back