Puma Virgin

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

showbeastie

Hello everyone

After years of being a company car man based in the Midlands, I purchased my very first Puma today.
It's a bit rough round the edges (mostly rear arches), but I plan to use it as a daily driver/project.
I'm hoping over the next few months to bring it back to it's former glory.

Here's the details so far:
Silver (moondust, I think), with cloth interior
Just over 100k on the clock
MOT to September 2015
All this for the handsome price of £350!

Needs doing ASAP: Front bearings, cambelt change, a good service and a set of half-decent tyres.
Needs doing after that: replace front bumper (cracked), replace arches (rusting) and fit leather interior.
Any top tips and suggestions as I go along would be greatly appreciated.
Wish me luck...

Thanks for the welcomes folks.

I had my first proper drive in it this evening.
I can see what the fuss is about, the engine wants you to put the foot to the floor!
Saying that all is not well...
So far I've discovered vague and rumbling front-end running gear (suspect bearings, but could be more), spongy brakes, slightly heavy steering and a weeping rocker cover.
Was quoted £200 for front bearings to be done, as it's well out of my experience (gawd knows what a cambelt's gonna sting me).
But it's all for a good cause at the end of the day and I can sense there's plenty fun to be had once the front end's sorted.

Think I'll start a thread on my project's journey.

Watch oil and coolant like a hawk for a while to get used to how much is being used as it does seem to vary.

Once you have confidence that everything is OK they do seem to be a remarkably low fuss car to run.......

Our newer main car seems to have more issues :?

Will do, many thanks for the tip.
Have just ordered a load of service parts from Euro Car Parts, including rocker cover gasket.
Once they're all in I'll keep a close eye on things.

Can't speak for everyone but my steering is heavy also.
Get a quote for the cam belt first, if that goes it's good night mr chips! Bearings can be done later(ish)
Rocker cover gasket? easy as peas!

Good luck!

I've started a thread in the Projectpuma section.
I'd appreciate any advice offered.
Cheers
http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=27930" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Back