Puma trackday fun

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steve888

A couple of years ago I persuaded my 18 year old son to track day a Thunder that my work colleague was selling . After a couple of great days at Snetterton the engine developed a misfire( low compression on No3 cylinder) . The experience however has given me an appetite for more so I decided to buy a second car . £200 later , I am now the proud owner of another silver Puma and intend to get the old girl ready for the track . Apart from a lapsed MOT and worn clutch the car is pretty sound . It could also do with a service and Cam Belt . I am ok with handling the spanners but technical info on the engine seems to be hard to find . If any of you kind folk live near the Beds /Cambridge border and fancy earning some beer money I could really do with help changing the belt and if need be adjusting the valve clearances .
I am amazed that such a great car is so under valued and unappreciated by most people . It has to be the most fun for the money that is available . I also do the odd bike track day and have to say that going round in my sons car was just as much fun ! Anyway , it's great to be part of the Puma community and I hope to make new friends on the site . Oh , I forgot to mention that my son has the Puma bug quite bad . He also owns an FRP which he plans to restore to it's former glory .
Regards Steve

Hi Steve,

Can't help you with the 1.7 but welcome to the club. I think you are right, with the price of Pumas so low they are the perfect choice for a track car.

Ben

Hi Steve
The cam belt change is a technical thing, fraught with difficulties. El Dude (Nottingham) and STEAVIE (London) both seem recommended on here as they both do cam belt changes for members. If you decide to take it on yourself consult the Ford TIS and Gates technical bulletin# 036 but be aware lots of special tools are needed and it's easy to balls it up.
Barry

Back