Hi - another Newbie here - ABS probs

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timedweller

Hello,
Good to discover this forum, full of useful info and helpful peeps.
I inherited my Puma off my mum. Always loved driving it and was happy to own it after she passed away.
However!
It's got a few issues - most importantly the old ABS/ traction warning lights and funny noises situation I've been reading about on here.
It does the 12 mph crunch test and the warning lights only light up intermittently.
I've had no braking issues till today.
Now the ABS pump sounds like it's working overtime when you're just driving along - you can hear it doing something for 2-3 secs at a time, every 30 secs or so. If I try and brake while it's whirring away the brake pedal is v resistant and I'm not sure the brakes work properly.
Probably going to take it in after the weekend but am anxious it's going to be too expensive to justify getting done - and I'll probably need to source a salvaged ABS pump anyway as I've seen how much Ford parts cost!!
God knows about the traction, the power is definitely down if you floor the accelarator, you have to drive pretty gently. Not sure how long that's been going on, or even if that could be a clutch issue.
I'll be so sad if this is the end! So please wish me luck
Plus is anyone flogging a pump in good condition
Cheers
T

Might be worth pluging it into a OBDII reader and see if the ABS module is showing any fault codes. I could be wrong but sounds like a sensor is faulty rather than the pump.

Welcome btw

Thanks.
Just spoke to a mechanic local to me who was listed in the Recommended Garages thread.
He said the pumps rarely break and it's more likely to be a sensor.
He's coming over Tuesday to do the diagnostic so... Fingers crossed

Difficult to say from those symptoms, see how you get on with the diag on Tuesday.

Whatever the outcome the bits are not necessarily expensive and used compares somewhat favorably to Ford retail price.

If you need any advice or prices on stuff give me a call.

Latest posts

Back